Walmart is about to fire a warning shot at Apple’s iTunes: The retail colossus will introduce on Wednesday a way for iPad users to access VUDU’s Web site to buy or rent videos and view them on the tablet. “We’re committed to offering the VUDU experience on as many devices as possible so customers can shop for and access their favorite movies and TV shows however they want, whenever they want,” says VUDU general manager Edward Lichty. Walmart has a mixed track record in video. Although it’s the leading seller of DVDs, the retail chain failed in an effort to create a Netflix-like mail rental service. It also stumbled in its partnership with Hewlett Packard to offer movie downloads. Walmart bought VUDU in 2010 and has slowly been building it into a service that’s too powerful to ignore. The retailer says that VUDU is available on more than 300 electronics devices including the PlayStation 3, making it the most widely accessible broadband pay-per-view service. Its library includes more than 20,000 movies and TV shows and can be streamed at full 1080p high-definition video quality with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound.
Will VUDU's iPad Gateway Help Walmart To Outflank iTunes?
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency