EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Simon & Schuster Cancels Milo Yiannopoulos 'Dangerous' Book Deal After Conservative Blog Digs Up Old Interview
Latest Film News
- Harold Lloyd Pics To Be Animated; INTV Adds Li Ruigang Keynote – Global Briefs
- Lauren Holly To Star In Indie ‘Ultra Low’; Mollee Gray Set For ‘The Favorite’
- 'The Predator' Cast Photo: Sterling K. Brown, Olivia Munn & More Get Ready To Hunt Aliens
- ‘King Arthur: Legend of the Sword’ Trailer: Charlie Hunnam & Jude Law Go To War
- Oscars Security 2017: The Donald Trump Factor
- Holdovers Reign Over Presidents Day Weekend, But Why Did The New Releases Tank? – Monday Update