EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
What's Hot on Deadline
Roman Polanski On Netflix Impact On Moviegoing: "I Don't Think It's A Basic Threat For Cinema" - Cannes
'This Is Us' Casting Director Discusses Reason Why New York Talents Are Being Discovered Later In Their Careers
Latest Film News
- Why ‘Pirates’ & ‘Baywatch’ Are Shipwrecked At The Domestic B.O. — Friday Night Update
- TWC Schedules ‘Paddington 2’ For Wide Release
- Paramount Nudges ‘Sherlock Gnomes’ To Later Release Date
- Which Festival Debuts In The South Of France Might Travel All The Way To Oscar? — Cannes
- Emma Booth Cast In Universal’s ‘Extinction’; Andy Buckley Horror Indie ‘All Light Will End’
- XYZ Films Spotlights Undiscovered International Talent — Deadline Disruptors