EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
Trending Now on Deadline
NBC Cameraman Declared Ebola-Free; Tries To Rescue Nancy Snyderman From Self-Inflicted Career Disaster -- UPDATE
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Star Wars Episode VII' Lead Daisy Ridley Signs With CAA
- James Wan Back At New Line For 'The Conjuring 2′ And Overall Producing Deal
- MGM Nabs Hot Pitch 'Cop Swap'; Rematch With 'Hot Tub Time Machine' Helmer Steve Pink
- Rich Green Jumps To ICM Partners; Top Book-To-Film Rights Broker Leaves Resolution
- TPG Spends $225 Million In Deal That Ups Stake In CAA To 53%
- Lionsgate, Tribeca Team For Subscription VOD Launch