EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $220M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Lincoln Plaza Cinema Owner: Space To Stay A Movie Theater After Renovations
- ‘The Greatest Showman’ Live Movie Trailer Electrifies During ‘A Christmas Story Live’
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow – International Box Office
- Johnny Depp’s Ex-Lawyers Suing ‘Pirates’ Star Back After He Hit Them For $30M
- 'I, Tonya' Ices Robust Weekend; 'Disaster Artist', 'Shape of Water' & 'Call Me By Your Name' Expand – Specialty…
- Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For ‘Good Will Hunting’