EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
What's Hot on Deadline
Spirit Award Nominations: 'Call Me By Your Name', 'Lady Bird', 'Get Out', 'The Rider', 'Florida Project' Best Pics
TV & Film Casting Biz Disrupted: Fox's Decision To Drop Breakdown Services For Casting Networks & Its Fallout
Latest Film News
- ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ Director Noah Baumbach On His Personally Rooted Penchant For New York Stories
- John Lasseter’s Leave Of Absence At Disney/Pixar Comes As Women Detail Unwanted Behavior
- Canadian Actors Union Branch President Says She Was Sexually Assaulted Four Times
- ‘Three Billboards’ Production Designer Inbal Weinberg On Martin McDonagh’s Unique Approach To Screen Language
- French Senator, Health Minister Seek To Snub Out Smoking In Movies
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger: Telco Shares Dip; Donald Trump Says Deal “Not Good For The Country”