EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Latest Film News
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association Responds To Brendan Fraser Groping Charge
- Oscar List Of Nominated Song Performers Includes Mary J. Blige, Sufjan Stevens, Common
- ‘Leviathan’ & ‘McMafia’ Actor Under Fire For Anti-Russian Comments; Colleagues Respond
- Gravitas Ventures Grabs ‘Bieber Generation’ Docu; Freestyle Digital Media Acquires ‘Live Or Die In La Honda…
- The 16-Year Journey To Release For Duncan Jones And ‘Mute’ – Q&A
- ‘Goosebumps 2’: Madison Iseman, Ben O'Brien, Caleel Harris & Jeremy Ray Taylor Set As Leads