EXCLUSIVE: Up in the Air star Vera Farmiga is set to star with Mark Strong in Closer to the Moon, a period drama set in communist Romania. Nae Caranfil is directing, and production begins early fall in Bucharest. Strong plays Max Rosenthal, a former head of a criminal investigation unit for the Bucharest police force who is implicated in a bank robbery in which he and three others perpetrated the crime while assuring the crowds they were filming a movie. They are tried and sentenced to death because they are Jews, but only after the communist government forces them to re-enact their crime in a propaganda film. Farmiga plays Max’s former lover and mother of his child, who returns from studying in Moscow as the drama unfolds. Michael Fitzgerald is producing. Farmiga’s directorial debut, Higher Ground, will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in late August. She most recently starred in Source Code and Henry’s Crime, and she recently wrapped Safe House opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds for Universal. She’s repped by CAA and Jon Rubinstein.
Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong Star In 'Closer To The Moon'
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver: Donald Trump's Tape Admission "Extraordinarily Stupid" Confirmation Of James Comey Testimony
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Rises To $199M Overseas, $267M+ Global Bow - International Box Office
Why 'Transformers' Is Screaming For Reboot After $68M Start; 'Wonder Woman' Steps On 'Cars 3' In 2nd-Place Fight - Monday AM
Latest Film News
- Josh Duhamel To Make Directing Debut On WWE Studios’ ‘The Buddy Games’
- ‘Fahrenheit 451’: Laura Harrier Cast As Millie In HBO Movie
- ‘War For The Planet Of The Apes’ Review: All Hail Caesar In Summer’s Crown Jewel Blockbuster
- MRC’s Modi Wiczyk Explains Risks Of Summer Originals ‘Baby Driver’ And ‘The Dark Tower’
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Rises To $199M Overseas, $267M+ Global Bow – International Box Office
- ‘The Conjuring 3’ Is Summoned By New Line; David Leslie Johnson Hired To Script