A venture capital and private-equity firm has sued Rizvi Traverse Management, alleging that Rizvi misled it about the commercial viability of the 2010 box office bomb Tekken. (Rizvi is the private-equity firm with multiple Hollywood investments: stakes in ICM, Playboy Enterprises, and Summit Entertainment.) Houston-based Small Ventures claims that Rizvi convinced it to invest more than $10M in the video game adaptation, falsely claiming that box office success was not critical because the money would be recouped from pre-sold foreign rights. Released in a handful of smaller foreign territories, Tekken has taken in less than $1 million. Rizvi co-founders John Giampatropni and Suhail Rizvi also were named in the suit, which was filed Tuesday in federal court in Houston, and seeks damages, restitution and legal fees. Small Ventures is represented by Gregory Casas of law firm Greenberg Trauring.
Venture Capital Firm Sues Rizvi Traverse, Claims It Was Taken On Indie Pic 'Tekken'
What's Hot on Deadline
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
- Roman Polanski Will Not Be Extradited To The U.S. From Poland