Sony Pictures has targeted Aug. 2, 2013 as the release date for a sequel to The Smurfs, even though the studio at this point has only locked Jordan Kerner to be the film’s producer. The notion of making a sequel is a no-brainer after the original nearly beat the pricier Cowboys & Aliens in its opening weekend and has so far taken in $135 million worldwide. It opened No. 1 in 23 offshore markets last weekend.
Sony Stakes Out 2013 'Smurfs' Sequel Release Date
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'