Sony Pictures has targeted Aug. 2, 2013 as the release date for a sequel to The Smurfs, even though the studio at this point has only locked Jordan Kerner to be the film’s producer. The notion of making a sequel is a no-brainer after the original nearly beat the pricier Cowboys & Aliens in its opening weekend and has so far taken in $135 million worldwide. It opened No. 1 in 23 offshore markets last weekend.
Sony Stakes Out 2013 'Smurfs' Sequel Release Date
Trending Now on Deadline
Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup
'Constantine' Ratings Rise, 'Last Man Standing' Down, 'Shark Tank' Up, 'Blue Bloods' Even; ABC Wins Night In Demo
More From Fleming Jr
- Hobbit Sings Sweet Farewell To Middle Earth
- Charles Sipkins Exiting Sony As Corporate PR Head
- Jean-Marc Vallee To Direct Amy Adams In Janis Joplin Biopic
- Katee Sackhoff Gets 'Girl Flu'
- Richard Linklater Cast For Career Achievement Award
- Josh Boone Says Warner Bros Will Turn Stephen King's 'The Stand' Into Four Films