The effort is still in “an R&D stage,” Matt O’Grady, Nielsen’s executive vice president of media audience measurement, cautioned. “Right now, iPad streaming is not having an impact on ratings,” O’Grady said. “But we’re taking [the project] dead seriously because our clients need to know what the viewing is on tablet and smart phone platforms.” Progress in measuring iPad viewership could help the two cable operators make peace with Viacom, which sued the two firms in April for breach of contract, in part over its Comedy Central and MTV content going out via the apps. Programmers say the apps violate their current distribution deals; the operators say they fall within their carriage deals. This is of tremendous significance because Viacom relies on Nielsen ratings to sell advertising time on its networks, and the greater the audience size, the greater the market value of the advertising time,” Viacom said in the original suit. “In June, the Viacom suspended the litigation with Cablevision in hopes of reaching an out-of-court compromise — which was reached and announced last week. TWC’s most recent numbers indicate its iPad has has been downloaded more than 600,000 times since its release in March. Cablevision’s Optimum App for iPad has been downloaded 200,000 times since bowing in April, according to the company.
Nielsen Developing Way To Measure iPad Apps For Time Warner Cable & Cablevision
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- ‘SNL’: “Come Back, Barack”, Stay Awhile Pete Davidson & Chance Pays Off
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment…
- Saoirse Ronan To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’, With Musical Guest U2
- ‘SNL’: Trump Boys Inherit Dad-Free Spot With “Juilliard Massage” Of “RickiLakes”
- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers And Cast Reflect On Season 2, Keep Tight-Lipped On Season 3
- ‘Parks & Rec’ Mike Schur Says “Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey”; ‘Leftovers’ Damon Lindelof Regrets…