Madison Square Garden Co reported a second-quarter profit that was down 39% thanks to ongoing renovations at the company’s Madison Square Garden arena and theater in New York, which has put a crimp on hosting lucrative events. The James Dolan-run MSG, which went public last year after being spun off from Cablevision Systems, saw revenue improve 3% to $233.9 million, beating Wall Street expectations, led in part by higher affiliate fees at the MSG Media unit, which includes MSG Network, Fuse and regional sports networks. It’s MSG Entertainment that took the brunt of the decline with its biggest venue unavailable (construction is expected to be completed in October). Overall, the company reported a profit of $8.5 million, or 11 cents a share; analysts expected 14 cents a share. Of course, analysts also expect things could get much worse if the NBA season is shortened or canceled owing to the current owner-imposed lockout — that’s 41 home New York Knicks games that are in jeopardy (MSG owns the Knicks as well as the NHL’s New York Rangers and the WNBA’s New York Liberty). The stock is down about 11% this year so far but was up following the earnings report.
MSG Earnings Decline With The Garden Out Of The Game
What's Hot on Deadline
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Tomorrowland' Bows With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M - International B.O.
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest TV News
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82
- ‘X-Factor’ Producers Hit With $2M Lawsuit By Contestant; Says Performance Was “Altered”
- Showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman On Almost Passing On ‘Jane The Virgin’, Pace, Title Change & How Will It End
- ‘Fuller’ Brush-Off: Olsens Won’t Head Home For ‘Full House’ Sequel
- Melissa McCarthy Staying At CAA