The odd collection of stocks controlled by John Malone’s Liberty Media are enjoying a nice pop today after the company reported generally upbeat 2Q data. Shares of Liberty Starz are up 5.2% at mid-day. The company says that Starz ended the quarter with 19M subscribers — its highest ever and up 200,000 from March. But Encore was down by 200,000 to 32.9M. The company doesn’t mind: It reported $403M in revenue, up 5% vs the same period last year and beating the $396.1 that analysts expected. The company says it gained $8M from higher prices for its channels, $6M from the subscriber growth, and $3M from sales of home video and licensing rights to its original productions. Meanwhile, shares of Liberty Interactive — which includes QVC — are up 7.8% at mid-day after the company reported a 9% revenue increase to $2.2B, on target with expectations. QVC was up 8% to $1.9B. Sales of accessories, apparel, and home goods in the U.S. were up but jewelry was down. Although the number of transactions fell 4% to 25.7M, that was outweighed by an increase in the average value of each sale to $52.02 from $48.10. QVC plans broadcasts from the LA Live complex that will enable it to “provide a localized look and feel for our West Coast audience during their prime television viewing hours,” says QVC chief Mike George. Elsewhere in Malone-land, Liberty Capital shares are up 4.6% and Liberty Global’s are up 3.5%.
Liberty Media Says Starz Hits A Record 19M Subs In 2Q While QVC Rebounds
What's Hot on Deadline
Video - Melissa McCarthy Spoofs Hollywood's Audience Test Screenings & Cracks Up Leslie Jones: 'Saturday Night Live'
WGA Awards: 'Spotlight' & 'The Big Short' Take Marquee Film Honors; 'Mad Men', 'Veep' & 'Mr. Robot' Top TV - Full List
Latest TV News
- Battling Republicans On CBS Fuel Highest-Rated Debate Of 2016
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Slip With Host Melissa McCarthy
- Video – Kanye West & Kyle Mooney’s Rap Duel: ‘Saturday Night Live’
- Video – Melissa McCarthy Spoofs Hollywood’s Audience Test Screenings & Cracks Up Leslie Jones: ‘Saturday Night Live…
- Video – Melissa McCarthy Palms Fellow Cat Lady Kate McKinnon: ‘Saturday Night Live’
- ‘Purity’ Drama Starring Daniel Craig From Scott Rudin Eyes Series Order