Seminal punk rock singer Patti Smith will collaborate with Oscar-nominated screenwriter John Logan to adapt Just Kids, the bestselling memoir Smith wrote about her close relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe as both came of age in their respective art forms in New York City during the ’60s and ’70s. They’ve decided to write the screenplay on spec rather than set it up with a distribution, which they certainly could have done after Just Kids won the 2010 National Book Award for Non-fiction. In fact, a lot of prestige producers wanted it. Logan most recently won a Tony Award for his play Red, about painter Mark Rothko, and he has the Ralph Fiennes-directed Coriolanus and Martin Scorsese-directed Hugo coming this fall. The book was repped by DCL Agency and Logan’s repped by CAA.
John Logan And Patti Smith Duet On Her Robert Mapplethorpe Memoir 'Just Kids'
What's Hot on Deadline
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
'Tomorrowland' Bows With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M - International B.O.
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- Mathematician John Nash, Subject Of ‘A Beautiful Mind’, Dies In Car Crash
- Bart & Fleming: Girl Power Pics, Cannes, Disney Self-Absorption, Suzanne Somers
- Memorial Day B.O. Runs Cold: ‘Tomorrowland’ Is No Flying Car With $40.7M Bow – Second Sunday Update
- Cannes Winners: Jacques Audiard’s ‘Dheepan’ Takes Palme D’Or – Live
- 6;Tomorrowland’ Bows With $26.7M, ‘Ultron’ Dominates With $45.8M, ‘Mad Max’ Adds $38.2M, ‘Spy’ Nabs $12.5M…
- Aishwarya Rai On Return To Film With ‘Jazbaa’ Helmer Sanjay Gupta – Video