Seminal punk rock singer Patti Smith will collaborate with Oscar-nominated screenwriter John Logan to adapt Just Kids, the bestselling memoir Smith wrote about her close relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe as both came of age in their respective art forms in New York City during the ’60s and ’70s. They’ve decided to write the screenplay on spec rather than set it up with a distribution, which they certainly could have done after Just Kids won the 2010 National Book Award for Non-fiction. In fact, a lot of prestige producers wanted it. Logan most recently won a Tony Award for his play Red, about painter Mark Rothko, and he has the Ralph Fiennes-directed Coriolanus and Martin Scorsese-directed Hugo coming this fall. The book was repped by DCL Agency and Logan’s repped by CAA.
John Logan And Patti Smith Duet On Her Robert Mapplethorpe Memoir 'Just Kids'
What's Hot on Deadline
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
- Lionsgate And ‘Gods Of Egypt’ Director Alex Proyas Apologize For Film’s Lack Of Diversity
- Roman Polanski Will Not Be Extradited To The U.S. From Poland
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Facebook Clip: Snoke Signals, Han Shoots First