EXCLUSIVE: After taking a stab at light drama with CBS’ The Defenders, former According to Jim star Jim Belushi is returning to comedy with a new half-hour project from Murphy Brown creator Diane English. The pairing of Belushi and English, who will co-write the story together, sparked bidding among studios before ultimately landing at ABC Studios, which also produced According to Jim. The deals are still being finalized, but ABC Studios is expected to re-team with According to Jim co-producer Brillstein Entertainment Partners on the show, about a single father with a teen offspring. Belushi’s and English’s companies will also produce, with the two executive produing alongside Brillstein Entertainment. With ABC Studios as the studio, it is considered likely that the comedy will end up at ABC, the network where According to Jim ran for eight seasons, but that is not a given as the project is expected to be taken out to other networks. Belushi is the latest sitcom star to be eying a return to primetime. Tim Allen is headlining a new series for ABC this fall, Kirstie Alley is set to star in an ABC comedy pilot, and Roseanne Barr is developing a new starring vehicle for herself at 20th Century Fox TV. Belushi and English are with ICM.
Jim Belushi Teams With 'Murphy Brown' Creator For New Comedy Series Project
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
Latest TV News
- ‘How To Get Away With Murder’ Season Finale: Killer Revealed, New Puzzle Posed
- Stephen Colbert Opens ‘Late Show’ With Message To Donald Trump From Bathroom Signs
- ‘Nashville’ Star Exits In Tragic Plot Twist, Reflects On 4.5-Season Run & Its End
- ‘Tonight Show’ Reveals How Donald Trump’s Staff Gathers Flattering News Footage
- Caitlyn Jenner Scolds Donald Trump For Revoking Transgender Protections – Update
- Lea Michele Cast In ABC Mayor Comedy Pilot; What About ‘Scream Queens’?