EXCLUSIVE: After taking a stab at light drama with CBS’ The Defenders, former According to Jim star Jim Belushi is returning to comedy with a new half-hour project from Murphy Brown creator Diane English. The pairing of Belushi and English, who will co-write the story together, sparked bidding among studios before ultimately landing at ABC Studios, which also produced According to Jim. The deals are still being finalized, but ABC Studios is expected to re-team with According to Jim co-producer Brillstein Entertainment Partners on the show, about a single father with a teen offspring. Belushi’s and English’s companies will also produce, with the two executive produing alongside Brillstein Entertainment. With ABC Studios as the studio, it is considered likely that the comedy will end up at ABC, the network where According to Jim ran for eight seasons, but that is not a given as the project is expected to be taken out to other networks. Belushi is the latest sitcom star to be eying a return to primetime. Tim Allen is headlining a new series for ABC this fall, Kirstie Alley is set to star in an ABC comedy pilot, and Roseanne Barr is developing a new starring vehicle for herself at 20th Century Fox TV. Belushi and English are with ICM.
Jim Belushi Teams With 'Murphy Brown' Creator For New Comedy Series Project
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Aaron Paul Starts Production Company, Inks First Look Deal With Sony TV
- 'Emerald City' Not Going Forward At NBC
- 'Bates Motel's Freddie Highmore & Kerry Ehrin Sell Romantic Comedy To NBC
- Stephen Gaghan To Direct AMC Pilot 'White City'
- ABC Buys Family Comedy From Eric Falconer & Greg Garcia
- VH1 Orders 'T.I.& Tiny: The Family Hustle' Spinoff Series Starring Tiny & Shekinah