After a long search, newcomer John Boyega (Attack the Block) has landed the lead in HBO’s newly picked up drama pilot Da Brick, from Spike Lee, John Ridley, Doug Ellin and Mike Tyson. Boyega will play the central character, Donnie, in the ensemble drama, which was inspired in part by Tyson’s youth and explores what it means to be a young, black man in supposedly post-racial America. Released from juvenile detention on his 18th birthday, Donnie begins an exploration of what it means to be a man both for himself, and to those around him. The role does require boxing skills. Lee is directing the pilot from a script by Ridley. Ellin, Ridley, Lee, Tyson and Jim Lefkowitz are executive producing.
HBO Boxing Pilot 'Da Brick' Casts Lead
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Donald Trump Son-In Law Jared Kushner Discussed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Report
- Stephen Colbert Explains How Donald Trump Alpha-Dogged His Way Through NATO Summit
- ‘The Simpsons’: Donald Trump Gets A Thank-You From Richard Nixon’s Ghost
- Viacom’s Great Program Migration: Guide To Which Show Moved Where
- MSNBC President Phil Griffin Signs New Deal; Whither Goest Lawrence O’Donnell?