After a long search, newcomer John Boyega (Attack the Block) has landed the lead in HBO’s newly picked up drama pilot Da Brick, from Spike Lee, John Ridley, Doug Ellin and Mike Tyson. Boyega will play the central character, Donnie, in the ensemble drama, which was inspired in part by Tyson’s youth and explores what it means to be a young, black man in supposedly post-racial America. Released from juvenile detention on his 18th birthday, Donnie begins an exploration of what it means to be a man both for himself, and to those around him. The role does require boxing skills. Lee is directing the pilot from a script by Ridley. Ellin, Ridley, Lee, Tyson and Jim Lefkowitz are executive producing.
HBO Boxing Pilot 'Da Brick' Casts Lead
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Family Comedy From Eric Falconer & Greg Garcia
- VH1 Orders 'T.I.& Tiny: The Family Hustle' Spinoff Series Starring Tiny & Shekinah
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'