I don’t know how The Weinstein Co is going to stay on track with its reorganized finances if Dimension films keep bombing like this: a weak $12M opening weekend from 3,295 theaters. The whole underpinning of the Weinstein Brothers’ success at Miramax was that Dimension threw off wheelbarrows of box office cash. No more. Here’s yet another unnecessary sequel not helped by its 4D gimmickry, Aroma-Scope schtick, or Robert Rodriguez. (See Robert Rodriguez On His ‘Spy Kids’ Stinker.) The Weinstein Co saw the handwriting on the wall and didn’t bother to brief the media on the film ahead of time — and then failed to send out grosses Friday. With a ‘B+’ Cinemascore and exit polls showing that kids rated the film much higher than parents did (72 excellent and 90 in the top 2 boxes), the film should have done better especially with 3D’s higher ticket prices. But Spy Kids: All The Time In The World had 60/40 with 2D in terms of screens but only 54/46 in terms of business. (To give you some context, The Smurfs was 77/23 with 2D, which is more in line with the family film trend). Dimension can keep making this sequel swill, but until it comes up with fresh ideas for fresh films, then TWC could tank again.
Autopsy Report: Weinstein's 'Spy Kids 4D'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Alien: Covenant' Adds $30M In 2nd Frame; 'Dangal' Pins $100M+ In China; 'Guardians 2' At $733M WW - International Box Office
Are Comedies In Peril On The Big Screen & Headed To Streaming? Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler & 'Meyerowitz' Cast Sound Off - Cannes
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Angry Birds 2’ Will Fly In Sept. 2019 With New Creative Team
- Are Comedies In Peril On The Big Screen & Headed To Streaming? Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler & ‘Meyerowitz’ Cast Sound Off…
- Review: In Hamish Linklater’s ‘The Whirligig’, Zosia Mamet Plays Another Bad-News Girlfriend
- ‘Alien: Covenant’ Adds $30M In 2nd Frame; ‘Dangal’ Pins $100M+ In China; ‘Guardians 2’ At $733M WW – International…
- Bryan Cranston's 'Wakefield' And Steve James Doc 'Abacus' Top Quiet Weekend – Specialty Box Office
- Why ‘Alien: Covenant’ Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36M+ Opening, -29% From ‘Prometheus’