EXCLUSIVE: Rising young comedian Ali Wong has landed her first regular TV role, joining the cast of NBC’s upcoming comedy series Are You There Vodka, It’s Me Chelsea, which is based on the books of another female comedian, Chelsea Handler, who executive produces the series. Are You There Vodka centers on Chelsea Hanson (Laura Prepon), an alcohol-loving, oversexed cocktail waitress. Wong will play a new character, Bianca, the daughter of immigrant parents and Chelsea’s best friend since grade school. She is now a fellow cocktail waitress and Chelsea’s partner-in-crime. Chelsea had a best friend in the pilot, Ivory, played by Natalie Morales, but that character has been replaced by Bianca as part of the retooling of the the project. Wong is the second major addition to the cast of Are You There Vodka after the pilot, along with fellow new regular Jake McDorman, who was tapped as a new male lead character after guest starring in the pilot playing a different part. Wong’s castings comes in the same week NBC has been facing some scrutiny over cast diversity of its new shows. This is Wong’s third acting gig after an arc on the Fox comedy Breaking In and a role in Oliver Stone’s upcoming Savages. Last month, Wong made her standup debut on NBC’s The Tonight Show. Here is the video:
Ali Wong Joins New NBC Comedy 'Are You There Vodka' As Regular
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'