EXCLUSIVE: Rising young comedian Ali Wong has landed her first regular TV role, joining the cast of NBC’s upcoming comedy series Are You There Vodka, It’s Me Chelsea, which is based on the books of another female comedian, Chelsea Handler, who executive produces the series. Are You There Vodka centers on Chelsea Hanson (Laura Prepon), an alcohol-loving, oversexed cocktail waitress. Wong will play a new character, Bianca, the daughter of immigrant parents and Chelsea’s best friend since grade school. She is now a fellow cocktail waitress and Chelsea’s partner-in-crime. Chelsea had a best friend in the pilot, Ivory, played by Natalie Morales, but that character has been replaced by Bianca as part of the retooling of the the project. Wong is the second major addition to the cast of Are You There Vodka after the pilot, along with fellow new regular Jake McDorman, who was tapped as a new male lead character after guest starring in the pilot playing a different part. Wong’s castings comes in the same week NBC has been facing some scrutiny over cast diversity of its new shows. This is Wong’s third acting gig after an arc on the Fox comedy Breaking In and a role in Oliver Stone’s upcoming Savages. Last month, Wong made her standup debut on NBC’s The Tonight Show. Here is the video:
Ali Wong Joins New NBC Comedy 'Are You There Vodka' As Regular
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Sony Hack Deepens Rift Between Film & Television Group
- FXX Launches Late-Night Animation Block With Series From ADHD Studios
- 'MasterChef Jr.' Finale Up, 'Voice' Finale Down From 2013, 'NCIS: NOLA' Hits Low
- Julian McMahon & Daisy Betts Join Syfy's 'Childhood's End'
- Endemol, Shine & Core Joint Venture Gets Name, Sets More Top Execs, Merges Distribution & International Operations
- Da'vine Joy Randolph & Sheaun McKinney Cast In Danny McBride HBO Series 'Vice Principals'