NBC didn’t spill any secrets about the unnamed hourlong prime time news program that Brian Williams is developing when it announced today that former CBS News anchor Harry Smith will join the team as “one of the correspondents.” The show’s exact format is still a mystery, although NBC News president Steve Capus says that Smith’s “vast experience, covering everything from interviews with world leaders to wars and natural disasters, makes him a perfect fit for this new broadcast,” which will also feature NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC anchors and correspondents. NBC’s praise must be refreshing for Smith to hear. In January, CBS pared back his role at The Early Show. CBS put Chris Wragge and Erica Hill in as anchors, replacing Smith and Maggie Rodriguez, in an effort to narrow the ratings gap with NBC’s Today and ABC’s Good Morning America. Smith had hosted CBS’s This Morning from 1987 to 1996 and hosted The Early Show since 2002. In a memo to staffers last week, CBS News president David Rhodes called Smith “a fixture here at CBS News for a generation” who had made “an extraordinary contribution.”
What Will Harry Smith Do At NBC's Mysterious Primetime Newscast?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: 'Wonder' Makes Awards Play; 'Dunkirk' Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig To Voters
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Journalism Schools Rescind Awards Given To Charlie Rose In Wake Of Sexual Misconduct Accusations — Update
Latest TV News
- Peter Baldwin Dies: ‘Mary Tyler Moore’, ‘Wonder Years’ Director Was 86
- Apple Investment In Original Video Will Reach $4.2 Billion By 2022: Report
- ‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy’s Parade Steady, ‘Young…
- Al Franken: “Committed To Regaining Trust”; More Comment Expected Sunday
- Matt Berry Reveals British Comedy ‘Toast Of London’ Is To Return
- CBS and Dish Reach Carriage Agreement