EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has acquired screen rights to A Discovery of Witches, the bestselling novel by Deborah Harkness. Denise DiNovi and Allison Greenspan will produce. The debut novel is about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch and a mysterious manuscript that draws them together. They’ll put a writer on it right away as the studio looks for more opportunities to tap the fantasy vein now that the Harry Potter series has concluded. In fact, the success of that final Potter installment has every studio foraging for the next young adult franchise. Harkness is writing this as a trilogy and the second installment, Shadow of Night, will be published by Viking next summer. Harkness was repped by CAA, which made the deal for the Frances Goldin Literary Agency.
Warner Bros Buys 'A Discovery Of Witches'
What's Hot on Deadline
Harvey Weinstein On 'The Imitation Game,' Best Picture Dissing, Sony Hack, Netflix And Quentin Tarantino
We Called It: 'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Sells To Fox Searchlight & Indian Paintbrush For Record $12M - Sundance Update
SAG Movies: Not Many Surprises But Hawking Vs. 'Birdman' Fires Up The Best Actor Oscar Race - Hammond
More From Fleming Jr
- Lionsgate To Answer Call For Eli Roth-Keanu Reeves Thriller ‘Knock Knock'; $3 Million Sundance Buy
- ‘Strongest Man’ Helmer Kenny Riches Signs With UTA; Sundance
- Bart & Fleming: January Movie Turds; ‘Fruitvale’s Ryan Coogler Taking ‘Rocky’ Road; Bill Maher Shaming Liberals Over…
- We Called It: ‘Me And Earl And The Dying Girl’ Sells To Fox Searchlight & Indian Paintbrush For Record $12M…
- ‘Selma’s Ava DuVernay & David Oyelowo Reunite For Hurricane Katrina Pic
- Sony Pictures Classics Lands ‘Diary Of A Teenage Girl’ – Sundance