EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has acquired screen rights to A Discovery of Witches, the bestselling novel by Deborah Harkness. Denise DiNovi and Allison Greenspan will produce. The debut novel is about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch and a mysterious manuscript that draws them together. They’ll put a writer on it right away as the studio looks for more opportunities to tap the fantasy vein now that the Harry Potter series has concluded. In fact, the success of that final Potter installment has every studio foraging for the next young adult franchise. Harkness is writing this as a trilogy and the second installment, Shadow of Night, will be published by Viking next summer. Harkness was repped by CAA, which made the deal for the Frances Goldin Literary Agency.
Warner Bros Buys 'A Discovery Of Witches'
What's Hot on Deadline
Mayweather-McGregor PPV Fight Could Punch Up $700M Worldwide, Making Domestic Box Office Meaningless
Latest Film News
- Cannes Winner ‘The Square’ Is Sweden’s Foreign Language Oscar Pick
- Lorenzo Di Bonaventura Develops Graphic Novel IP ‘Guntown’ That Looks At Both Sides Of Gun Debate
- Christopher MacBride Set To Adapt Graphic Novel ‘A.D. After Death’ For Immersive Pics, Sony
- Robert Downey Jr. Warns Fans To Avoid Online Impersonators Looking For Cash
- Sony Snags Horror Thriller Spec ‘Nightlight’ From ‘Tragedy Girls’ Duo
- Julianne Moore To Be Feted By MOMA