EXCLUSIVE: Open Road Films — the new distribution company created by exhibitors AMC Entertainment and Regal Entertainment — just snagged U.S. rights to The Key Man, a thriller written by Joby Harold. QED International is financing the movie, about a single father who’s targeted by U.S. government agents because his body contains answers to important national secrets. QED chief Bill Block says it “recalls great films like Three Days Of The Condor and Marathon Man and is built on a fantastic story in the vein of The Da Vinci Code and National Treasure, and will appeal to a broad global audience.” The film will be widely released and include “a significant P&A commitment” from Open Road, the companies say. Key Man will be produced by Harold, Block, Tory Tunnell and Paul Hanson with principal photography due to begin by early 2012. The deal was negotiated by Open Road Films CEO Tom Ortenberg, General Counsel Elliott Kleinberg and SVP Acquisitions Ben Cotner with QED’s Block and Paul Hanson. Open Road films go to Netflix in the pay TV window following the DVD release. Ortenberg says Key Man is “one of the smartest, most original scripts we’ve seen” and predicts that it “will attract top notch talent.”
Open Road Films Lands Joby Harold Thriller 'The Key Man'
What's Hot on Deadline
Pablo Escobar's Brother Urges Netflix To Change 'Narcos' Security Protocol After Death Of Location Manager
Tucker Carlson Blasts Emmys; Calls It A "Remarkable Triumph Of Identity Politics Over Art & Entertainment"
Latest Film News
- ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’ Review: Suave British Spies Are Back & The Wacko Formula Still Works For Fans
- ‘Just Getting Started’ Trailer: Morgan Freeman & Tommy Lee Jones Are Rivals-Turned-Partners
- Zak Olkewicz To Adapt ‘Time Salvager’ For Michael Bay At Paramount
- ‘All I See Is You’ Trailer: Blake Lively Regains Sight In Open Road’s Upcoming Thriller
- ‘It’ Becomes Biggest-Ever September Release With $218.8M As ‘Mother!’ Gets F Report Card & Dismal $7.5M…
- Teyana Taylor, Blair Underwood & French Montana To Topline Netflix Comedy ‘The After Party’