Following great TV ratings for last year’s Men’s World Cup Finals and this year’s UEFA Championships Final, yesterday’s FIFA’s Women’s World Cup Final between USA and Japan drew 13.5 million viewers, the larges audience ever for a soccer match on ESPN. Overall, the game, which USA lost on penalty kicks after a 2-2 tie, was the second most watched women’s soccer match ever behind the 1999 final between USA and China on ABC, which still holds the ratings record for a soccer telecast in the U.S. with 18 million viewers.
More Big Soccer U.S. TV Ratings: Women's World Cup Final Sets Record For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Juri & Charlie Hunnam Join Aaron Taylor-Johnson In 'A Million Little Pieces'
Latest TV News
- Peter Mayle Dies; ‘A Year In Provence’ & ‘A Good Year’ Author Was 78
- Israeli Drama ‘In A Heartbeat’ & Irish Crime Thriller ‘Costigan’ Lead Berlin Co-Pro Lineup
- BBC Worldwide Content Chief Helen Jackson To Depart After 31 Years
- Sony Pictures Television Sets Up UK-Based Non-Scripted Label Human
- Bradford Dillman Dies: Star Of Broadway, Film And TV Was 87
- Freeform Unveils New Logo & “A Little Forward” Tagline