EXCLUSIVE: David Goyer has worked with Thomas Tull’s Legendary Pictures on both Chris Nolan’s Batman trilogy and the new Superman reboot Man Of Steel. Now the in-demand writer will pen the screenplay, from a draft written by David Callaham, for Legendary Pictures’ new version of Godzilla. The project will fall under Legendary’s overall agreement with Warner Bros while Toho Company, which own the rights to the oversized reptile, will distribute the film in Japan. Toho’s Godzilla franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide. Legendary intends to approach the film and its characters in the most authentic manner possible and was smart to get a pro like Goyer on board so early in the process since he has so much experience creating franchises. Of course, Sony Pictures in 1998 tried to jumpstart a Godzilla franchise and that disappointed. And the first Godzilla movie came out in 1954 which was an indictment of nuclear wweaponry. Gareth Edwards is attached to direct the Legendary project. Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce on behalf of Legendary. Goyer is repped by CAA.
Legendary Hires David Goyer For 'Godzilla'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Wonder Woman' Promo Features 'Supergirl's Melissa Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Lynda Carter & Teri Hatcher
Latest Film News
- Film Allman Loses Case Against New York Marine Insurer: “No New Info From FBI”
- Youth Revolution On The Croisette As Screen Kids Take Over Cannes
- Damien Chazelle Finds The “Fertile Terrain” Of An Industry In Upheaval – Deadline Disruptors
- Lukas Haas Cast In Steve McQueen’s ‘Widows’
- California's Tax Incentives Losing Battle For Blockbusters
- LA Film Festival Adds ‘The Beguiled’, ‘Annabelle: Creation’ & More Screenings