Joe Pesci has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles against Fiore Films, the producer of Gotti: In the Shadow of My Father, the latest hiccup in the making of the drama about the son of Mafia boss John Gotti Sr. In the suit, filed Wednesday, Pesci claims he was offered the role of Gotti Sr right-hand man Angelo Ruggiero and a $3 million payday, but after Fiore Films promoted the movie with him in the part and the actor gained 30 pounds for the role, it offered Pesci $1 million and a lesser role. “Defendant has no intention of paying (Pesci) $3 million or having him portray Ruggiero in the film,” the lawsuit claims. “Rather, plaintiff secretly planned to use (Pesci’s) name and likeness to promote the film and then to later concoct some pretext for terminating the contract so as to avoid paying plaintiff anything for the substantial publicity and ‘buzz’ that was generated.” The Associated Press reported that Fiore CEO Marc Fiore rejected the allegations, saying, “Before we had a deal, Mr. Pesci walked away.” John Travolta, Al Pacino and Kelly Preston already are aboard the film, which originally had Nick Cassavetes helming before he departed and was replaced by Barry Levinson. Production is slated to begin Jan. 3.
Joe Pesci Sues Producer Over 'Gotti' Movie
Trending Now on Deadline
'Midnight Rider' Trial Date Set For Indicted Filmmakers; 1st Assistant Director Hillary Schwartz Turns Herself In
More From Team
- Discovery Studios Signs Exec Producer Rob Kerr
- National Geographic Channel Orders Series On Alaskan Log-Rafting From Gurney Productions
- 'Exodus: Gods And Kings' Trailer: Christian Bale & Ridley Scott Take On 'Ten Commandments'
- Ben Affleck On 'Daily Show': Jon Stewart “Spoils” 'Gone Girl' & 'Batman Vs. Superman' (Video)
- 'Angry Birds' Movie: Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Josh Gad & More Flock To Voice Cast
- GLAAD TV Report: ABC Family, HBO, MTV “Excellent”; A&E, History, TNT Fail