The board of directors at BSkyB has unanimously voted to keep James Murdoch as CEO after meeting in London today and also approved a $1.6 billion stock buyback. Both moves were expected; Murdoch is deputy COO of News Corp, which owns 40% of the UK satcaster’s shares. Murdoch’s fate has been in question since the News of the World phone-hacking scandal rocked the media world, with allegations that Murdoch, in charge of News Corp’s UK newspaper division, might have known about the practice and lied about it to the UK parliament. The re-appointment of Murdoch comes the same day fresh allegations arose that then-News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks gave a cell phone to the mother of an 8-year-old murder victim that was eventually hacked by the paper’s reporters. Brooks, who rose to head of News Corp’s News International unit, resigned last month and eventually was arrested for her part in the scandal. She is now out on bail and denies the latest allegation. Meanwhile, the board’s authorization of the stock buyback means News Corp likely will sell some of its stock in BSkyB to avoid increasing its stake — which certainly would be unpopular with the UK public as well as other shareholders in the current climate.
UPDATE: James Murdoch To Remain BSkyB Chairman; Stock Buyback Also Approved
What's Hot on Deadline
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'