EXCLUSIVE: Rachel Berry’s mom is back. Tony Award winner Idina Menzel is in final negotiations to return to Fox’s musical dramedy Glee in the upcoming third season for a major arc that could span as many as 10-12 episodes. In what is described the only significant cast addition on the show next season, Menzel will reprise her role as Rachel Berry’s (Lea Michele) biological mother Shelby Corcoran, which she originated in 5 episodes of Glee‘s first season. Back then, Shelby was the coach of New Directions’ rival glee club Vocal Adrenaline. She tried to bond with Rachel after Rachel found out that she was her mother but ultimately left town after adopting Quinn and Puck’s baby girl. Next season will see Shelby returning from New York to Ohio to join William McKinley High School as a new teacher and complicating things for Rachel as well as former flame Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison). “I’m really excited the that Idina is joining the family again,” said Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy. “We missed her last year and we’re happy that she is coming back.”
Idina Menzel To Return To 'Glee' Next Season For Big Arc
Trending Now on Deadline
Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup
More From Andreeva
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'
- Paul Dano To Co-Star In Steve McQueen's HBO Pilot 'Codes Of Conduct'
- 'Jump Start' Comic Strip To Be Adapted As Family Comedy For Fox
- Resolution's Cynthia Booth & Emma Lewis Join Don Buchwald & Associates
- Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup