No doubt that the theater, opera, and film director is both a genius and a handful. Julie Taymor was recently replaced as director of Broadway’s Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark after the accident-plagued musical became known as the most expensive production in the history of The Great White Way. She also has fought with almost every producer of her movies. The main problem has been that no one wants to give her the same free rein with her creativity that Disney did when she brought The Lion King to the stage in 1997 in a stunning production that continues to play around the world to this day. Her first feature film, Titus, was a startling reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s Titus Andronicus, her Frida received six Oscar nominations, her Across the Universe starred U2 lead singer Bono (with whom she collaborated on Spider-Man), and her film version of Shakespeare’s The Tempest cast Helen Mirren in the role of the sorcerer Prospero usually played by a male actor. There’s probably an Oscar with Taymor’s name on it in the future, but only if ICM’s Jeff Berg can help her to function within Hollywood’s constraints.
ICM's Jeff Berg Signs Director Julie Taymor
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38.6M Second Weekend - Sunday AM Update
Latest Film News
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International Box…
- ‘Wasted!’ Directors & EP Anthony Bourdain On The Problem Of Food Waste And Ways To Combat It — Tribeca…
- Dennis Rodman Runs Amok In Colin Hanks’ ‘The Amazing Adventures Of Wally And The Worm’ – Tribeca Studio
- ‘Dear Basketball’ Scribe Kobe Bryant On A Career Built “Piece By Piece” And Life After Basketball — Tribeca…
- Docs 'Citizen Jane' & 'Jeremiah Tower' Rule Quiet Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 3 – Andie MacDowell, Joseph Fiennes, Elisabeth Moss, Kobe Bryant, Dan Stevens…