Harvey Weinstein back in 2007 bought up the iconic dress label Halston (all those Studio 54 jersey-knit disco dresses from the ’60s and ’70s that resisted stains from spilled scotch or cocaine) which re-launched in 1997 and then needed the jaws of life. Now the word around fashion circles is that Weinstein will soon announce he’s getting out. It’s good news. The more Harvey keeps his focus on showbiz (and not on the showroom biz), the better off he’ll be. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: one of the only industries worse than the movie industry has to be the fashion industry. My own opinion is that the junction between Hollywood and Seventh Avenue should stay on the Red Carpet. That’s why I made merciless fun of Harv when he acquired Halston, backed by Hilco Consumer Capital, spurred by his fashionista then-girlfriend/now-wife Georgina Chapman and his involvement as a producer of the Project Runway cable TV series. Because if you accept the premise that the film business is the folly of the filthy rich, and the indie film business the folly of the stupidly rich, then the fashion business must be the folly of the insane rich.
Harvey Dropping Halston? Did Weinstein Find There's No Biz In Showroom Biz?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Latest Film News
- 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' Bows OK; 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Extend Robust Runs – Specialty Box Office
- Russell Simmons Accused Of Forcing Sex On Model While Brett Ratner Watched
- ‘Justice League’ Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; ‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International…
- ‘Justice League’ Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened – Sunday…
- Harvey Weinstein Drew Up 91-Name List For Investigators To Target: Report
- Little People Played Big Enough At A Guild Screening Of Alexander Payne’s ‘Downsizing’