EXCLUSIVE: The Walking Dead executive producer Glen Mazzara is taking the reins of AMC’s The Walking Dead following the exit of creator/executive producer/showrunner Frank Darabont. Deadline broke the news last night that Darabont is stepping down as showrunner of the series he shepharded to the small screen, with Mazzara as a candidate to replace him. According to sources close to the hit zombie drama, Mazzara, who joined the show at the beginning of Season 2 as No. 2 to Darabont, will now indeed be the series’ new showrunner. He remains an executive producer alongside Robert Kirkman, on whose comic the series is based, and Gale Anne Hurd. It is still unclear if Darabont will stay on and in what capacity as those conversations are still ongoing. “We hired Glen Mazzara as our Number 2 in the room,” Darabont said in a Deadline interview last month. “We consider him our head writer and he’s just a fantastic asset.” Production on Season 2 of Walking Dead has not been interrupted by the showrunner change, and the series remains on target for an Oct. 16 premiere. Mazzara has been part of The Walking Dead since Season 1 when he wrote one of the six episodes as a freelancer. The Shield alum Mazzara recently served as showrunner on the first season of Starz’s Crash and the second season of Hawthorne.
Glen Mazzara To Succeed Frank Darabont As 'Walking Dead' Showrunner
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim: Uprising' Doesn't Create Waves At $26M+; 'Black Panther' Sets Marvel Record & Beats 'Avengers'
Latest TV News
- ‘Queen Sugar’ Showrunner: Season 3 Will Focus On “The Journey Of Fatherhood”, Ava DuVernay Talks Inclusion…
- Kathy Griffin Plans To Attend White House Correspondents Dinner
- Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards 2018 Winners – The Complete List
- ‘Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Showrunners Talk How ‘Infinity War’ Might Affect The ABC Marvel Series…
- John Cena, Millie Bobby Brown Salute ‘March For Our Lives’ At Kids’ Choice Awards
- FX Pulls the Plug On Marvel's Deadpool Animated TV Series From Donald Glover