Producers Don Murphy and Susan Montford, who are coming off Transformers: Dark of the Moon and the upcoming Shawn Levy-directed Hugh Jackman-starrer Real Steel, have signed a deal with Cartoon Network to develop a live-action adventure theatrical feature based on Captain Planet. He’s the animated Ted Turner-created environment-saving hero who was first introduced in the cartoon series Captain Planet and the Planeteers. Murphy and Montford will develop the film under their Angry Films banner. “We are extremely excited about bringing the good captain back to life,” said Murphy, who added the intention is to make a series of films. “[The Captain’s] adventures are known worldwide and he is recognized across generations.” The news follows last month’s announcement of a similar Cartoon Network deal with producer Joel Silver for a movie based on the Ben 10 animated series.
Cartoon Network & Producer Don Murphy To Develop Live-Action 'Captain Planet' Feature
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest TV News
- The Gotham Group Acquires Rights To ‘The Jihadi Hunter’ Novel
- Les Moonves Says He Believes CBS Will Make A Deal With DirecTV Now
- ‘Legion’ Sets Debut Date For FX Marvel Series, Drops New Trailer
- WGA TV Nominations: ‘The Americans’, ‘Stranger Things’, ‘Westworld’, ‘This Is Us’ Among…
- Netflix Exec Says Big Companies Weighed By Conflicts, But Sees More Consolidation
- Viacom EVP Content Distribution Denise Denson Exits; Tom Gorke Promoted