BREAKING: Lionsgate is setting a release date of January 18, 2013 for The Last Stand, the Kim Jee-Woon-directed return vehicle for Arnold Schwarzenegger. That puts the film in wide release on the Martin Luther King holiday weekend. Schwarzenegger plays a cop who leaves the LAPD in disgrace and takes a job in a sleepy border town. There’s little action until when an escaped drug kingpin heads toward the toonlwn at 200 mph in a specially outfitted car with a hostage and a fierce army of gang member escorts. The cop is the only thing standing in the way of the kingpin making it back across the border to safety. This was one of several projects that Schwarzenegger had percolating after he exited as California governor, until the subsequent paternity scandal seemed to cool everything off–the others included Cry Macho and a reprise as The Terminator. Deadline revealed earlier this month that The Last Stand had come back together as Schwarzenegger’s return vehicle. It’ll be a test of his popularity, but it is clearly the kind of vehicle that fans of his old action films want to see him making. Lorenzo di Bonaventura is producing and Andrew Knauer and Jeffrey Nachmanoff wrote the script.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Back On January 18, 2013 As Lionsgate Sets Release Of 'The Last Stand'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Transformers' Less Than Meets The Eye With Near $60M Five-Day Domestic Opening - Midday B.O. Update
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Running Out Of Gas With $15.6M Opening Day; CinemaScore Dips To B+ - Update
Latest Film News
- ‘The Beguiled’ Review: Sofia Coppola’s Female-Driven Civil War Story Ratchets Up The Sexual Tension
- Maria Dragus Cast In ‘Mary Queen of Scots’; Ned Van Zandt Joins ‘The Iron Orchard’
- Tommy Lee Jones To Star With Brad Pitt In Deep-Space Epic
- ‘Transformers’ Less Than Meets The Eye With Near $60M Five-Day Domestic Opening – Midday B.O. Update
- How ‘The Immortal Life’ Director George C. Wolfe Honored The Life And Legacy Of Henrietta Lacks
- ‘13 Reasons Why’ Actor Steven Silver Boards John Stalberg Jr.’s Comedy ‘Beef’