EXCLUSIVE: After Dark Films has purchased the action script El Gringo by Jonathan W. Stokes. Joel Silver will executive produce the film, which is set to begin production later this year. The plot centers on an American who crosses the border into Mexico with a bullet in his arm and $2.3 million in cash, looking to head to Acapulco and retire on the beach. But he discovers quickly that his plan is easier said than done. Stokes, repped by UTA and Energy Entertainment, also has written Murders and Acquisitions, an actioner set on Wall Street, and he wrote and directed The Last Hurrah, about the last night of a group of students before they graduate college.
After Dark Buys 'El Gringo' For Joel Silver
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Team
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa
- No Hollywood Credits For Obama IP Czar Nominee
- Hot Trailer: Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater'
- David Hyde Pierce Joins 'The Good Wife' In Recurring Role
- TNT's 'Proof', Netflix's 'Narcos' & Amazon Pilot 'Man In The High Castle' Add Cast
- Academy Unveils 2014 Governors Awards: Harry Belafonte, Jean-Claude Carrière, Hayao Miyazaki, Maureen O'Hara