River Road Entertainment announced today that it has secured life rights to Beach Boys frontman Brian Wilson as well as his wife Melinda Wilson and is developing a feature film about the singer-songwriter’s wild and sometimes rocky life, during which he has battled drug addiction and mental illness and suffered a nervous breakdown while making Smile, the Beach Boys’ follow-up to their seminal album Pet Sounds. Oren Moverman, who was nominated for an Oscar for writing The Messenger, already is at work on the screenplay. (Moverman, repped by WME and NY Office, also is working on Universal and Working Title’s Kurt Cobain project, so he’s in the music biopic zone right now.) River Road founder Bill Pohlad and John Wells Productions will produce the Wilson pic, with Jim Lefkowitz executive producing.
River Road Nabs Life Rights To Beach Boy Brian Wilson; Oren Moverman Scripting
What's Hot on Deadline
20th Century Fox Taps BOOM! Superhero Tale 'Irredeemable'; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting
Latest Film News
- ‘Angry Birds’ Get Happy With Day-And-Date China Bow
- ‘Warcraft’ Sets China Release Two Days Ahead Of U.S.: A Burgeoning Trend?
- Steve Papazian, Trusted Warner Bros. Veteran, Moves Into Consulting Capacity
- Angela Davis Biopic By ‘Shameless’ Scribe LaToya Morgan Acquired By The Firm
- Javier Bardem & Penelope Cruz On Croisette For ‘Escobar’ – Cannes
- 20th Century Fox Taps BOOM! Superhero Tale ‘Irredeemable’; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting