Conservative NBC affiliate KSL-TV in Utah will not carry the upcoming network drama series The Playboy Club, set at the first Playboy Club in Chicago in the 1960s. The station announced its decision on-air this morning (video below). “The Playboy brand is known internationally. Everyone is clear what it stands for. We want to be sure everyone is clear what the KSL brand stands for, which is completely inconsistent with the Playboy brand,” KSL President and CEO Mark Willes said in a statement. Willies also serves as president and CEO of KSL’s parent company, Deseret Media Companies, which has ties to the Mormon church. The same station previously refused to carry NBC’s racy comedy Coupling and the religious-themed animated comedy God, the Devil and Bob. KSL’s anchor who announced the nixing of The Playboy Club described the decision as being part of the station’s “long-term policy to screen programming for material which significant portions of our audience might find objectionable.” The station stopped short of labeling the content in Playboy Club they feel viewers might find objectionable but ran a guest commentary on the announcement by the chairman of the Utah Coalition Against Pornography. KSL said it is working with NBC to find another station in the market to carry the show, slated to air Mondays at 10 PM this fall. The Playboy Club already got in the crosshairs of conservative-leaning TV watchdog Parents Television Council, which criticized the series for asking its cast to sign nudity clauses.
NBC Affiliate In Utah Won't Air New Drama Series 'The Playboy Club'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
Latest TV News
- Top BBC Presenter Claims Class Pay Gap As Wide As Gender Pay Gap
- ‘The Simpsons’ Predicted USA’s Olympic Gold Medal Win In Curling Eight Years Ago
- Omarosa Talks About Writing A Tell-All on ‘Celebrity Big Brother’, Says She Has To “Tell Her Truth”
- MSNBC Analyst Michael Steele To Conservative Honcho: “I’ve Taken Crap You Have No Idea About”
- Fox News To Air Live Donald Trump Interview With Jeanine Pirro Tonight
- CNN Claims Father Of School Shooting Hero May Have Altered Email To Fuel “Fake News” Charges