Conservative NBC affiliate KSL-TV in Utah will not carry the upcoming network drama series The Playboy Club, set at the first Playboy Club in Chicago in the 1960s. The station announced its decision on-air this morning (video below). “The Playboy brand is known internationally. Everyone is clear what it stands for. We want to be sure everyone is clear what the KSL brand stands for, which is completely inconsistent with the Playboy brand,” KSL President and CEO Mark Willes said in a statement. Willies also serves as president and CEO of KSL’s parent company, Deseret Media Companies, which has ties to the Mormon church. The same station previously refused to carry NBC’s racy comedy Coupling and the religious-themed animated comedy God, the Devil and Bob. KSL’s anchor who announced the nixing of The Playboy Club described the decision as being part of the station’s “long-term policy to screen programming for material which significant portions of our audience might find objectionable.” The station stopped short of labeling the content in Playboy Club they feel viewers might find objectionable but ran a guest commentary on the announcement by the chairman of the Utah Coalition Against Pornography. KSL said it is working with NBC to find another station in the market to carry the show, slated to air Mondays at 10 PM this fall. The Playboy Club already got in the crosshairs of conservative-leaning TV watchdog Parents Television Council, which criticized the series for asking its cast to sign nudity clauses.
NBC Affiliate In Utah Won't Air New Drama Series 'The Playboy Club'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘The Flash’ Season 4 Trailer: Get Ready For A New-Look Team Flash On The CW
- Jake Paul Exits Disney Channel Series ‘Bizaardvark’
- ‘Arrow’: ‘Lost’ Star Michael Emerson To Recur In Season 6; David Nykl Returns, Watch Trailer…
- Comic-Con: ‘Midnight, Texas’ Creator Charlaine Harris “Trusts The Integrity” Of NBC Adaptation
- ‘Ghost Wars’ Trailer: “Unholy Sh*t” Hits Fan In First Look At Syfy Horror Series – Comic-Con
- ‘The Flash’: Neil Sandilands To Play The Thinker; Danny Trejo & Kim Engelbrecht Also Cast – Comic-Con