Mea culpa, I took today off rather than suffer more of Universal’s humiliating slings and arrows inevitably directed at me. Because, thanks to matinee and pre-sale tickets, the studio’s Bridesmaids passed Knocked Up around noon as Judd Apatow’s biggest grossing film, not adjusted for inflation or higher ticket prices. Cume is over $148.769M and counting. Needless to say, Judd himself used the occasion to bitchslap me over my pre-release belief that the R-rated comedy featuring women burping and farting for our female amusement wouldn’t have an opening domestic weekend bigger than $13M, even $15M tops, before it actually debuted with $26.2M: “I am so delighted to confirm that I was right and you were wrong,” Apatow emailed me for posting here. “From now on when you say something which hurts me, I will remember to read your early Bridesmaid‘s opinions and predictions and that will soothe me.” Ouch!
Judd Apatow Bitchslaps Me Now That 'Bridesmaids' Knocks Off 'Knocked Up'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Jack Reacher 2' Arm-Wrestling 'Madea' For No. 1; Audiences Aren't 'Keeping Up With The Joneses' - Midday Update
Leonardo DiCaprio To Play Music Pioneer Sam Phillips; Launched Elvis, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash & Jerry Lee Lewis
Stephen Colbert's Live Post-Debate 'Late Show' Tops Household Ratings But Edged By Jimmy Kimmel In Demo
Latest Film News
- Beau Knapp Set As Lead Villain In Eli Roth’s ‘Death Wish’
- Upstream Flix Gets Into Game, Acquires Hockey Enforcer Docu ‘Ice Guardians’
- ‘Keeping Up With The Joneses’ Review: Cast Is Game, But Comedy Is Tame
- ‘Molly’s Game’ Adds Brian d'Arcy James; Andrew J. West Cast In ‘Antiquities’
- ‘Jack Reacher 2’ Arm-Wrestling ‘Madea’ For No. 1; Audiences Aren’t ‘Keeping Up With The Joneses’…
- Sony Pictures Int’l Pacts With Producers Eduardo Cisneros & Jason Shuman