Mea culpa, I took today off rather than suffer more of Universal’s humiliating slings and arrows inevitably directed at me. Because, thanks to matinee and pre-sale tickets, the studio’s Bridesmaids passed Knocked Up around noon as Judd Apatow’s biggest grossing film, not adjusted for inflation or higher ticket prices. Cume is over $148.769M and counting. Needless to say, Judd himself used the occasion to bitchslap me over my pre-release belief that the R-rated comedy featuring women burping and farting for our female amusement wouldn’t have an opening domestic weekend bigger than $13M, even $15M tops, before it actually debuted with $26.2M: “I am so delighted to confirm that I was right and you were wrong,” Apatow emailed me for posting here. “From now on when you say something which hurts me, I will remember to read your early Bridesmaid‘s opinions and predictions and that will soothe me.” Ouch!
Judd Apatow Bitchslaps Me Now That 'Bridesmaids' Knocks Off 'Knocked Up'
What's Hot on Deadline
Trevor Noah Fracas "Much Ado About Nothing," Millennials Get Him, Says Aasif Mandvi, Quoting 451-Year-Old Playwright
Latest Film News
- Random House Signs Oscar Winner Patricia Arquette For Memoir: Publishing
- Rebecca Ferguson Join Cast Of Stephen Frears’ ‘Florence Foster Jenkins’
- Johnny Galecki Hooks On To Paramount’s Horror Threequel ‘Rings’
- Matthew Rhys In Talks To Join ‘Jungle Book: Origins’ For Warner Bros
- Michael Bay’s New 451 Media Group Secures China Financing Deal
- QED Hits Ex-CEO Bill Block With Infringement Lawsuit