EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
'Battle Creek' Review: Vince Gilligan's Old Script Witty Addition To CBS' Sunday, Says Dominic Patten
More From Fleming Jr
- New Regency Acquires Film For ’71’s Yann Demange To Direct, Plan B To Produce
- Bruce Lee Family Plans New Film Biopic
- A Third Robin Hood Script Enters The Fray; This By King Arthur Scribe Joby Harold
- Rob Letterman Doffs ‘Captain Underpants'; ‘Turbo’s David Soren Being Fitted For DWA Pic
- Marc Forster Sets Blake Lively, Jason Clarke For ‘All I See Is You’