EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
What's Hot on Deadline
Gary Oldman Spent 200 Hours In Make-Up Chair To Become Winston Churchill In 'Darkest Hour' -- CinemaCon
Christopher Nolan Shows Off 'Dunkirk,' Says “The Only Way To Carry You Through” The Film Is At A Theater – CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs Gets Pioneer Of The Year Award, Urges Diversity And Inclusion – CinemaCon
- WGA Says It’s Ready To Return To Bargaining Table – Update
- ‘Justice League’, ‘Wonder Woman’ & ‘Aquaman’ Fire Up Audience For Warner Bros…
- Fright Franchise ‘Five Nights At Freddy’s’ Blumhouse-Bound?
- Christopher Nolan Shows Off ‘Dunkirk,’ Says "The Only Way To Carry You Through" The Film Is At A Theater…
- ‘Annabelle 2’ Now Titled ‘Annabelle: Creation’ – CinemaCon