EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Maze Runner' Over $30M; Liam's Leisurely 'Walk' To $14M; 'Where I Leave You' Stays Put At No. 3
More From Fleming Jr
- Matt Damon, Zhang Yimou Want To Scale 'The Great Wall' In China
- Roberto Orci's 'Star Trek 3′ Commitment Knocks Him Out Of 'Power Rangers' Pic
- Aussie Thriller 'Kill Me Three Times' Sells To Magnolia: TIFF
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production On Joe Paterno Movie With Brian De Palma & Al Pacino
- Shark Spec Script 'In The Deep' Won By Sony
- 'Godzilla' Sequel To Be Scripted By Max Borenstein