EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
What's Hot on Deadline
Paramount, Disney And STX Show Exhibitors Exactly What They Came To See With Help From Clooney, Damon And The Rock (Again!) - CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils 70th Edition Poster With Dancing Claudia Cardinale
- Paramount, Disney And STX Show Exhibitors Exactly What They Came To See With Help From Clooney, Damon And The Rock (Again!)…
- Disney At CinemaCon: ‘Wreck It Ralph’ Sequel Now Titled ‘Ralph Breaks The Internet’
- WGA East's Council Asks Members To Authorize Strike
- Paramount Brings The Star Power To CinemaCon: Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, George Clooney, Al Gore & More
- Paramount Teases Nickelodeon-Based Feature Toon Lineup Including ‘The Loud House’ – CinemaCon