EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
What's Hot on Deadline
Cecily Strong Struggles To Follow Obama And Anger Translator Luther At White House Correspondents Dinner
Latest Film News
- ‘King Jack’, ‘TransFatty Lives’ Take Top Audience Honors At Tribeca Film Festival
- Michael Bay Releases First ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2′ Pics
- Christian Bale Knee Injury Means ‘The Deep Blue Good-by’ Will Follow ‘Wolverine 3′
- The Joker Photo: First Official Look At Jared Leto’s ‘Suicide Squad’ Villain
- A24 Acquires ‘The Adderall Diaries’ In 2nd Tribeca Deal Of Day For Distrib
- ‘Iron Man’ Copyright Lawsuit Against Marvel Has Weak Links In Its Claims