EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
What's Hot on Deadline
Jared Kushner Repeats "I Did Not Collude" Doctrine In Rare Public Speech After Meeting With Senate Intel Staff
Latest Film News
- Anne Hathaway Circling ‘Barbie’ At Sony
- ‘The Marriage Pact’: Fox & Chernin Nab Rights To Upcoming Novel For Justin Haythe To Adapt
- Gravitas Acquires ‘Fallen’, A Polarizing Police Officer Documentary Narrated By Michael Chiklis
- Loretta Devine, Kimberly Elise, Deon Cole & More Cast In ‘Headshop’
- Writers’ Health Care Costs Going Up In January
- Tommy Dewey & Francois Arnaud To Star In Marc Carlini’s ‘She's In Portland’