EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox’s and star Hugh Jackman’s choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I’m told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I’d heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O’Connor and Brooklyn’s Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I’ve heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold’s repped by WME and Management 360.
Fox Chooses James Mangold On 'Wolverine'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Den Of Thieves' & '12 Strong' Draw Close To $1M On Thursday Night, But 'Jumanji' Will Win The Weekend
Latest Film News
- Heart Disease Expert In Sundance Docu ‘The Game Changers’ Begs To Differ With White House Doctor Over Donald…
- Allison Shearmur Dies: Tastemaking Studio Executive & Producer Was 54
- Makeready Wins Auction For James Frey Novel ‘Katerina’ As Simon & Schuster Imprint Scout Press Wins…
- Weinstein Company Pulls ‘War With Grandpa’, ‘The Upside’ & ‘Mary Magdalene’ Off…
- Dorothy Malone Dies: Oscar Winner, ‘Peyton Place’ Star Was 92
- VR Has Its Pixar Moment With Adaptation Of Neil Gaiman’s ‘Wolves In The Walls’ As Part Of Sundance Slate