Comcast is continuing to mull what to do with all of its NBCUniversal assets. The latest example: The Wall Street Journal reports today that NBCU is in talks with mixed-martial arts league Ultimate Fighting Championship to take a controlling stake in the company’s struggling G4 cable network. The league is looking for an outlet to promote its sport to a growing fan base of young men, the exact target demographic of G4, which focuses on gaming and gadgets but is struggling ratings-wise and recently was dropped by DirecTV. It makes sense — UFC has a distribution deal with Spike TV that expires at year’s end and already shows events on Comcast’s Versus network — but NBCU should watch out for that backlash: It has added wrestling programming to its Syfy channel, sparking complaints from fans angry that their core sci-fi programming is being pushed aside.
Is Comcast Selling Stake In G4 Network?
What's Hot on Deadline
Sarah Silverman Calls Fellow Bernie Sanders Supporters "Ridiculous"; Al Franken Rips Donald Trump At DNC - Update
DNC Gavels In As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Made Convention Chair
'Star Trek Beyond' $30M Debut; 'Lights Out' $8.5M; Jackie Chan's 'Skiptrace' Nails $64M Bow - Int'l Box Office Final
Latest TV News
- Stephen Colbert Kicks Off ‘Late Show’ DNC Week With Trippy Song And Dance
- Stephen Colbert Rushes DNC Podium With Security In Hot Pursuit
- Michelle Obama’s Stirring DNC Speech Gets Rousing Hollywood Reaction
- Bernie Sanders “Disappointed” But Offers Strong Endorsement Of Hillary Clinton – After Awhile
- Donald Trump Claims Elizabeth Warren “Misrepresented” Him In Hard-Hitting DNC Speech – Update
- Michelle Obama’s Powerful DNC Speech Praises Clinton, Dumps On Trump – And Ignores Melania