Idris Elba has closed his deal to play the lead role of Sensi in the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros sci-fi action film Pacific Rim. Guillermo del Toro is directing as his next film and production gets underway in November. The film’s produced by Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni. Elba joins Son of Anarchy’s Charlie Hunnam, with Elba playing the role originally developed for Tom Cruise. While Elba has been knocking on the door of big things in Hollywood for some time, I think that his work in the British series Luther really helped show his considerable range. I’d watched the first season of that series in one sitting right as I was reading Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained script, and couldn’t help but have Elba in my mind as the lead character. He was one of the top names mentioned, but that went south when Tarantino went through a long and fruitless dance with Will Smith. I am persuaded that the role will likely go to Jamie Foxx, but Tarantino hasn’t finalized anything. Elba, who starred this summer in Thor, is currently shooting Prometheus for director Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox. Elba is repped by UTA, The Schiff Co and UK agent Roger Charteris.
Idris Elba Joins Guillermo Del Toro's 'Pacific Rim'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Shawn Dunn Boards Original Force As CTO; Pamela Wolfe Named HR Executive VP At Starz
- Epix & Katie Couric Respond To Criticism Over Anti-Gun Docu Editing
- Dominic Bogart Storming ‘The Glass Castle’; Gregg Sulkin Joins Magical App Pic; ‘Battle Of The Sexes’ Courts…
- Al Gore, Paramount And Participant Celebrate Oscar Winner ‘An Inconvenient Truth’s’ 10th Anniversary
- Richard Goodwin’s ‘The Hinge Of The World’ About Epic Clash Between Church And Galileo Being Developed…
- Mary J. Blige Joins Cast of ‘Mudbound’ With Jason Mitchell, Jason Clarke, Garrett Hedland & Carey Mulligan