Idris Elba has closed his deal to play the lead role of Sensi in the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros sci-fi action film Pacific Rim. Guillermo del Toro is directing as his next film and production gets underway in November. The film’s produced by Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni. Elba joins Son of Anarchy’s Charlie Hunnam, with Elba playing the role originally developed for Tom Cruise. While Elba has been knocking on the door of big things in Hollywood for some time, I think that his work in the British series Luther really helped show his considerable range. I’d watched the first season of that series in one sitting right as I was reading Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained script, and couldn’t help but have Elba in my mind as the lead character. He was one of the top names mentioned, but that went south when Tarantino went through a long and fruitless dance with Will Smith. I am persuaded that the role will likely go to Jamie Foxx, but Tarantino hasn’t finalized anything. Elba, who starred this summer in Thor, is currently shooting Prometheus for director Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox. Elba is repped by UTA, The Schiff Co and UK agent Roger Charteris.
Idris Elba Joins Guillermo Del Toro's 'Pacific Rim'
What's Hot on Deadline
Trevor Noah Fracas "Much Ado About Nothing," Millennials Get Him, Says Aasif Mandvi, Quoting 451-Year-Old Playwright
Latest Film News
- Ben Platt Joins Cast Of Ang Lee’s ‘Billy Flynn’s Long Halftime Walk’
- Warner Bros Buys ‘Principia’, Christian Contreras Pitch That David Goyer Will Produce
- Alchemy Acquires Rights To Rob Zombie-Directed ‘31’
- Scribe Jonathan Stokes Sells Novel Series ‘A Thrifty Time Travelers Guide’ To Viking/Penguin
- Random House Signs Oscar Winner Patricia Arquette For Memoir
- Rebecca Ferguson Join Cast Of Stephen Frears’ ‘Florence Foster Jenkins’