Idris Elba has closed his deal to play the lead role of Sensi in the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros sci-fi action film Pacific Rim. Guillermo del Toro is directing as his next film and production gets underway in November. The film’s produced by Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni. Elba joins Son of Anarchy’s Charlie Hunnam, with Elba playing the role originally developed for Tom Cruise. While Elba has been knocking on the door of big things in Hollywood for some time, I think that his work in the British series Luther really helped show his considerable range. I’d watched the first season of that series in one sitting right as I was reading Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained script, and couldn’t help but have Elba in my mind as the lead character. He was one of the top names mentioned, but that went south when Tarantino went through a long and fruitless dance with Will Smith. I am persuaded that the role will likely go to Jamie Foxx, but Tarantino hasn’t finalized anything. Elba, who starred this summer in Thor, is currently shooting Prometheus for director Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox. Elba is repped by UTA, The Schiff Co and UK agent Roger Charteris.
Idris Elba Joins Guillermo Del Toro's 'Pacific Rim'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Naomi Watts To Star In Psychological Thriller ‘The Wolf Hour’
- WME Signs ‘Vicious Dogs’ Director Alex Eslam
- IDA Grants $850G To 11 Documentaries; ‘Blue Wall’, ‘Hazing’ Among Picks
- ‘Hangman’ Trailer: Al Pacino Plays Deadly Game With Serial Killer
- Tribeca’s Through Her Lens Selects ‘Suicide By Sunlight’ For Funding
- China Box Office Poised To Hit $8.31B In 2017, Regulator Forecasts