EXCLUSIVE: This was close: After lengthy and rough negotiations, Criminal Minds star Thomas Gibson just signed a deal to return to the veteran CBS drama only two weeks before it is scheduled to begin production on its upcoming seventh season. I hear Gibson has signed on for two more years in a deal worth mid-to-high seven figures, plus a signing bonus, with the actor more than doubling his previous salary. The difficult negotiations with CBS, CBS Studios and ABC Studios created some jitters in the Criminal Minds writers room as the show’s scribes have been breaking stories and working on scripts for next season for almost a month now without knowing for sure if Gibson’s character, Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner, will return. With Gibson and Shemar Moore set to come back and Paget Brewster and A.J. Cook rejoining them, Joe Mantegna, Matthew Gray Gubler and Kristen Vangsness, Criminal Minds will return in the fall with its post-Mandy Patinkin cast intact. Despite not having a deal, Gibson had been fulfilling all of his Criminal Minds obligations. He mingled with international buyers at the LA Screenings and then stumped for the show at the Monte Carlo TV festival and at a press junket in London. The actor’s reps at Paradigm and Frontline Management could not be reached for comment.
He'll Be Back: Thomas Gibson Closes Deal To Continue On 'Criminal Minds'
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver: Steve Bannon Ouster Unsatisfying While "Panderer To White Nationalists" He Worked For Still There
Robert De Niro Lets Loose On Bernie Madoff, How Netflix Is A Savior & Why The Emmys Should Dump On Trump
Latest TV News
- ‘Power’ Hits Season High Viewership, Despite Online Leaks Of Starz Drama
- ‘Labor Of Love’ Reality Series About Women’s Quest To Have A Child In Works At Fox
- ‘Feud’ Casting Director Eric Dawson Talks John Waters Cameo & The Strengths Of Ryan Murphy’s Process
- CBS Lands Hot Gary Sanchez Comedy From Ben Schwartz & Laura Moses, Isla Fisher Comedy In Works At Gloria Sanchez
- Gabrielle Carteris Supporters Continue Win Streak In Local SAG-AFTRA Elections
- Trump Address: Broadcast Networks Adjust Monday Night Programming For Afghanistan Speech