EXCLUSIVE: This was close: After lengthy and rough negotiations, Criminal Minds star Thomas Gibson just signed a deal to return to the veteran CBS drama only two weeks before it is scheduled to begin production on its upcoming seventh season. I hear Gibson has signed on for two more years in a deal worth mid-to-high seven figures, plus a signing bonus, with the actor more than doubling his previous salary. The difficult negotiations with CBS, CBS Studios and ABC Studios created some jitters in the Criminal Minds writers room as the show’s scribes have been breaking stories and working on scripts for next season for almost a month now without knowing for sure if Gibson’s character, Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner, will return. With Gibson and Shemar Moore set to come back and Paget Brewster and A.J. Cook rejoining them, Joe Mantegna, Matthew Gray Gubler and Kristen Vangsness, Criminal Minds will return in the fall with its post-Mandy Patinkin cast intact. Despite not having a deal, Gibson had been fulfilling all of his Criminal Minds obligations. He mingled with international buyers at the LA Screenings and then stumped for the show at the Monte Carlo TV festival and at a press junket in London. The actor’s reps at Paradigm and Frontline Management could not be reached for comment.
He'll Be Back: Thomas Gibson Closes Deal To Continue On 'Criminal Minds'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Amazon Developing Drama Based On ‘Boy In The Suitcase’ Mystery Books
- 6;A.D. The Bible Continues’ Review: Mark Burnett & Roma Downey Epic Very ‘House Of Cards’ + ‘Game Of Thrones…
- Amy Winehouse Documentary Finally Gets U.S. Deal, Lands At A24
- ‘Louie’ Season 4 Streaming On FX Now Ahead Of Series’ April 9 Return
- Amazon Books ‘Natchez Burning’ Drama From Tobey Maguire, David Hudgins & Sony TV
- Katie Couric Busy Terrifying James Corden, Pitching Comedy Series