HBO’s untitled WikiLeaks movie is taking shape, with Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall coming on board as executive producers and British scribe Rowan Joffe (The American) tapped to write the script. The project, a co-production with the BBC, is based on source material that includes Raffi Khatchadourian’s 2010 New Yorker article No Secrets: Julian Assange’s Mission for Total Transparency. It will tell the story of WikiLeaks, a database run by former hacker and Internet activist Julian Assange and his operatives, whose mission is to collect and disseminate via the Internet private, secret and classified information from anonymous sources. HBO put the WikiLeaks project in development in January with Joshua Maurer and Alixandre Witlin of City Entertainment and David Stern of KippSter Entertainment executive producing. In April, Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker Charles Ferguson was attached to direct the potential film and executive produce. Maurer, Witlin, Stern and Ferguson will now executive produce with Kennedy and Marshall. Audrey Marrs serves as co-exec producer and Timothy Prager as co-producer. With a writer, director and producers locked in, HBO’s TV movie is on track to beat to the screen the myriad WikiLeaks features that are in the works, including one at DreamWorks, which also is in active development.
HBO's WikiLeaks Movie Taps Kathleen Kennedy To Produce, Rowan Joffe To Write
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
PGA Awards: 'The Shape Of Water' Wins Outstanding Producer; 'Handmaid's Tale', 'Mrs. Maisel' Tops In TV - Full Winners List
Latest TV News
- Caryn Mandabach Prods Developing Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘When We Were Orphans’
- SAG Awards Analysis: ‘Three Billboards’ Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ Shakes…
- SAG Awards Backstage: Allison Janney Calls #MeToo Movement “Watershed Moment” For Hollywood
- SAG Awards: ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Wins For Film Ensemble – Complete Winners List
- Philadelphia Eagles Demolish Minnesota Vikings 38-7 In NFC Championship
- SAG Awards Stunt Ensemble Winners: ‘Wonder Woman’ & ‘Game Of Thrones’