HBO’s untitled WikiLeaks movie is taking shape, with Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall coming on board as executive producers and British scribe Rowan Joffe (The American) tapped to write the script. The project, a co-production with the BBC, is based on source material that includes Raffi Khatchadourian’s 2010 New Yorker article No Secrets: Julian Assange’s Mission for Total Transparency. It will tell the story of WikiLeaks, a database run by former hacker and Internet activist Julian Assange and his operatives, whose mission is to collect and disseminate via the Internet private, secret and classified information from anonymous sources. HBO put the WikiLeaks project in development in January with Joshua Maurer and Alixandre Witlin of City Entertainment and David Stern of KippSter Entertainment executive producing. In April, Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker Charles Ferguson was attached to direct the potential film and executive produce. Maurer, Witlin, Stern and Ferguson will now executive produce with Kennedy and Marshall. Audrey Marrs serves as co-exec producer and Timothy Prager as co-producer. With a writer, director and producers locked in, HBO’s TV movie is on track to beat to the screen the myriad WikiLeaks features that are in the works, including one at DreamWorks, which also is in active development.
HBO's WikiLeaks Movie Taps Kathleen Kennedy To Produce, Rowan Joffe To Write
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Andreeva
- Family Man Comedy From Bill Wrubel Gets CBS Pilot Production Commitment
- Fox Buys Sci-Fi Drama 'Nod' From Jason Richman & Chernin Co.
- Rila Fukushima Joins 'Arrow', Riley Voelkel Cast In 'Point Of Honor'
- Fox Buys College Comedy From Weezer Frontman Rivers Cuomo & 'Psych' Creator Steve Franks As Put Pilot
- Jason Bateman's Aggregate Films Reups Film & TV Deal With Universal, Hires Executive
- Zach Galifianakis & Louis C.K.'s Comedy 'Baskets' Gets FX Series Order