EXCLUSIVE: A little over a week ago, Deadline revealed that Universal Pictures had made a deal for another comedy that Bridesmaids director Paul Feig would write, helm and produce with Judd Apatow. There was no title and the plot was under wraps. I’ve learned a little bit more. The unconventional love story is about a guy who becomes obsessed with a woman. The template for the guy is Jon Hamm, and the gal is Melissa McCarthy. While I’m cautioned there are no negotiations and it is all very early, it makes perfect sense that both of these thesps will be courted to star in this Feig-directed comedy. Mad Men‘s Hamm played a fabulously insensitive douchebag playboy in Bridesmaids. As for Mike & Molly star McCarthy, she stole every scene she was in, no easy feat in that strong ensemble cast. If Universal and Apatow aren’t figuring out ways to build comedies around McCarthy, they’re crazy.
Does Paul Feig/Judd Apatow Comedy Have 'Bridesmaids' Melissa McCarthy And Jon Hamm In Mind?
What's Hot on Deadline
Harvey Weinstein On 'The Imitation Game,' Best Picture Dissing, Sony Hack, Netflix And Quentin Tarantino
We Called It: 'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Sells To Fox Searchlight & Indian Paintbrush For Record $12M - Sundance Update
More From Fleming Jr
- Lionsgate To Answer Call For Eli Roth-Keanu Reeves Thriller ‘Knock Knock'; $3 Million Sundance Buy
- ‘Strongest Man’ Helmer Kenny Riches Signs With UTA; Sundance
- Bart & Fleming: January Movie Turds; ‘Fruitvale’s Ryan Coogler Taking ‘Rocky’ Road; Bill Maher Shaming Liberals Over…
- We Called It: ‘Me And Earl And The Dying Girl’ Sells To Fox Searchlight & Indian Paintbrush For Record $12M…
- ‘Selma’s Ava DuVernay & David Oyelowo Reunite For Hurricane Katrina Pic
- Sony Pictures Classics Lands ‘Diary Of A Teenage Girl’ – Sundance