EXCLUSIVE: A little over a week ago, Deadline revealed that Universal Pictures had made a deal for another comedy that Bridesmaids director Paul Feig would write, helm and produce with Judd Apatow. There was no title and the plot was under wraps. I’ve learned a little bit more. The unconventional love story is about a guy who becomes obsessed with a woman. The template for the guy is Jon Hamm, and the gal is Melissa McCarthy. While I’m cautioned there are no negotiations and it is all very early, it makes perfect sense that both of these thesps will be courted to star in this Feig-directed comedy. Mad Men‘s Hamm played a fabulously insensitive douchebag playboy in Bridesmaids. As for Mike & Molly star McCarthy, she stole every scene she was in, no easy feat in that strong ensemble cast. If Universal and Apatow aren’t figuring out ways to build comedies around McCarthy, they’re crazy.
Does Paul Feig/Judd Apatow Comedy Have 'Bridesmaids' Melissa McCarthy And Jon Hamm In Mind?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
'Triple Frontier' Finally Going: Affleck, Isaac, Pascal, Hunnam, Hedlund, Arjona In JC Chandor's Lineup
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Film News
- Tribeca Film Festival Announces ‘Schindler’s List’, ‘Scarface’ Reunions & Anniversary Screenings, Unveils Tribeca…
- Former DMG Exec Chris Fenton In Talks For Big Saudi Arabia Film Job
- Charlie Bean To Helm Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lady And The Tramp’ Adaptation
- Topher Grace Set To Play Pastor In Faith-Based ‘The Impossible’
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Could Earn Up To $423 Million In Compensation, Advisory Firm Says
- Wes Anderson’s ‘Isle Of Dogs’ Wins SXSW Audience Award In Headliners Section