EXCLUSIVE: A little over a week ago, Deadline revealed that Universal Pictures had made a deal for another comedy that Bridesmaids director Paul Feig would write, helm and produce with Judd Apatow. There was no title and the plot was under wraps. I’ve learned a little bit more. The unconventional love story is about a guy who becomes obsessed with a woman. The template for the guy is Jon Hamm, and the gal is Melissa McCarthy. While I’m cautioned there are no negotiations and it is all very early, it makes perfect sense that both of these thesps will be courted to star in this Feig-directed comedy. Mad Men‘s Hamm played a fabulously insensitive douchebag playboy in Bridesmaids. As for Mike & Molly star McCarthy, she stole every scene she was in, no easy feat in that strong ensemble cast. If Universal and Apatow aren’t figuring out ways to build comedies around McCarthy, they’re crazy.
Does Paul Feig/Judd Apatow Comedy Have 'Bridesmaids' Melissa McCarthy And Jon Hamm In Mind?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Furious 7' Drives To $1.12B Global, Busts China Records; 'Dragonball' Big In Japan - Intl B.O. Update
Latest Film News
- Directors’ Fortnight Includes Takashi Miike, Jeremy Saulnier, Jaco Van Dormael
- Cathy Schulman Heads To STX Entertainment As Top Production Exec
- Christopher Nolan: “‘Snow White’ Absolutely Terrified Me” – Tribeca Film Fest
- ‘The Overnight’ Trailer: Schwartzman, Schilling, Scott As SoCal Swingers
- ‘Chicago Fire’s Taylor Kinney Lights Up ‘The Forest’
- Tribeca Sale: The Orchard Acquires N.A. Rights To Docu ‘Crocodile Gennadiy’