Disney Channel, who has built its business on scripted comedies and movies, is venturing into reality with PrankStars, a celebrity-driven hidden-camera series that sounds like CW’s upcoming H8R but with fans instead of haters. The series, whose premiere episode features Disney Channel stars Selena Gomez, Debby Ryan and Mitchel Musso, revolves around unsuspecting tweens and teens who are set up by family members and come face to face with their favorite celebrities “in unpredictable and humorous situations.” PrankStars, produced by Zoo Prods., premieres July 15. Barry Poznick (Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?), John Stevens (Lingo), Charles Steenveld (Family Game Night) and Rick de Oliveira (All-Star Celebrity Treasure Hunt) are exec producing.
Disney Channel Tests Unscripted Waters With Celebrity-Driven 'PrankStars'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- John Malkovich To Star In ‘Humboldt’ Marijuana Trade Crime Drama Series
- ‘Stranger Things’ Co-Creators On How They Left Things “Open Ended” For Possible Season 2 – TCA
- ‘Beat Bugs’ Trailer: More Stars Added To Beatles-Inspired Netflix Series – TCA
- Netflix Boss Ted Sarandos Talks Ratings, New Original Programming Spending Increase & ‘Stranger Things’ Renewal…
- ‘American Housewife’: Meg Donnelly Added To New ABC Comedy In Recasting
- Olympic Channel Bows After Rio; Spike Bellies Up With Lots More ‘Bar Rescue’, Late-Night Pilot