Disney Channel, who has built its business on scripted comedies and movies, is venturing into reality with PrankStars, a celebrity-driven hidden-camera series that sounds like CW’s upcoming H8R but with fans instead of haters. The series, whose premiere episode features Disney Channel stars Selena Gomez, Debby Ryan and Mitchel Musso, revolves around unsuspecting tweens and teens who are set up by family members and come face to face with their favorite celebrities “in unpredictable and humorous situations.” PrankStars, produced by Zoo Prods., premieres July 15. Barry Poznick (Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?), John Stevens (Lingo), Charles Steenveld (Family Game Night) and Rick de Oliveira (All-Star Celebrity Treasure Hunt) are exec producing.
Disney Channel Tests Unscripted Waters With Celebrity-Driven 'PrankStars'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest TV News
- ‘Westworld’ Finale Hits Season High, Caps Most Watched First Season Of HBO Series
- Savannah Guthrie Still Staying Put At NBC News’ ‘Today’
- Jimmy Kimmel To Host The Oscars
- The Gotham Group Acquires Rights To ‘The Jihadi Hunter’ Memoir
- Freeform Taps APA’s Julie Shapiro As SVP Business Affairs
- Les Moonves Says He Believes CBS Will Make A Deal With DirecTV Now