It won’t be a good day on the Disney lot. Today, the studio will tell just under 200 staffers that they are being laid off. Deadline told you this was coming, as part of a restructuring effort, with most of those layoffs coming in theatrical and home video distribution. The fact that Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides just crossed the $900 million mark in worldwide gross doesn’t change that studio brass felt a restructuring was needed. Fox, Paramount and Lionsgate have also been streamlining their operations and laying off staff as well.
D-Day For 200 Disney Layoffs In Distribution Even Though 'Pirates Of Caribbean' Passes $900M
What's Hot on Deadline
'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Takes Top Dramatic Honors At Sundance; Is It The Next 'Whiplash'? - Winners List
ADG Awards: 'Birdman', 'Grand Budapest Hotel', & 'Guardians' Take Top Film Prizes - 'Game Of Thrones', 'True Detective Among TV Winners
More From Fleming Jr
- Plan B Joins David Oyelowo Pic ‘Nightingale’
- Bart & Fleming: James Dixon Wins; Katzenberg Woes; American Sniper Wows; ‘Ghostbusters’ Cast, Whoa!
- Robert Redford-Nick Nolte Pic’ A Walk In The Woods’ Lands Whopping Broad Green Deal – Sundance
- Bleecker Street Acquires ‘I’ll See You In My Dreams’ – Sundance
- Sundance Pic ‘Digging For Fire’ Acquired By The Orchard & Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions – Update
- Steinbeck’s ‘In Dubious Battle’ Helmed By James Franco With Strong Cast – Berlin