EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has locked Craig Brewer into a deal to write and direct a new installment of Tarzan. Brewer has come up with a take that tells the Tarzan story over three films. He hopes the first one will be his next directing assignment. Warner Bros, which has been stymied in watching several attempts to relaunch the Edgar Rice Burroughs-created hero die on the vine, separately has screenwriter Adam Cozad working on a script that tells a different version of the man raised by apes in the jungles of Africa from infancy. Cozad’s recent work includes the Jack Ryan reboot and Archangel, the pic that has Tron: Legacy‘s Joseph Kosinski attached. How the studio decides which film to make remains to be seen, but clearly Warner Bros is determined to revive a live action Tarzan. This is a passion project for Brewer, who is in demand after directing the remake of Footloose for Paramount, and chose this over other opportunities. Jerry Weintraub is producing with Alan Riche and Tony Ludwig. Tarzan has been a fixture of films since the Depression, most notably in the series of films that starred Olympic swimmer Johnny Weismuller.
Craig Brewer Makes 'Tarzan' Deal, Writing Ape Man Saga As Trilogy
What's Hot on Deadline
Relativity Changes Coming Fast Today -- Sports Division Head And Co-Chief Out; Ron Burkle Takes Over
'Fresh Off The Boat' Inches Up As Fox Comedies & 'The Muppets' Drop; The CW Fall Kickoff OK With 'The Flash', 'iZombie'
Latest Film News
- Chantal Akerman Will Be Remembered At ‘No Home Movie’ Screening – New York Film Festival
- Kevin Corcoran Dies: ‘Old Yeller’ Actor And TV Producer Was 66
- ‘Pali Road’ First Look: Missing Memories On Hawaii’s Haunted Highway
- Relativity Changes Coming Fast Today — Sports Division Head And Co-Chief Out; Ron Burkle Takes Over
- Edie Falco Set For Biopic ‘Megan Leavey’
- ‘Janis: Little Girl Blue’ Acquired By FilmRise For November Bow