EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has locked Craig Brewer into a deal to write and direct a new installment of Tarzan. Brewer has come up with a take that tells the Tarzan story over three films. He hopes the first one will be his next directing assignment. Warner Bros, which has been stymied in watching several attempts to relaunch the Edgar Rice Burroughs-created hero die on the vine, separately has screenwriter Adam Cozad working on a script that tells a different version of the man raised by apes in the jungles of Africa from infancy. Cozad’s recent work includes the Jack Ryan reboot and Archangel, the pic that has Tron: Legacy‘s Joseph Kosinski attached. How the studio decides which film to make remains to be seen, but clearly Warner Bros is determined to revive a live action Tarzan. This is a passion project for Brewer, who is in demand after directing the remake of Footloose for Paramount, and chose this over other opportunities. Jerry Weintraub is producing with Alan Riche and Tony Ludwig. Tarzan has been a fixture of films since the Depression, most notably in the series of films that starred Olympic swimmer Johnny Weismuller.
Craig Brewer Makes 'Tarzan' Deal, Writing Ape Man Saga As Trilogy
What's Hot on Deadline
FX Orders Ryan Murphy Anthology Series 'Feud', Jessica Lange & Susan Sarandon To Star In First Installment: Crawford v Davis
X Japan Docu 'We Are X' Picked Up By Mongrel International; Simon West Attached To Helm 'War Wolf' - Cannes
20th Century Fox Taps BOOM! Superhero Tale 'Irredeemable'; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting
Latest Film News
- ‘Angry Birds’ Get Happy With Day-And-Date China Bow
- ‘Warcraft’ Sets China Release Two Days Ahead Of U.S.: A Burgeoning Trend?
- Steve Papazian, Trusted Warner Bros. Veteran, Moves Into Consulting Capacity
- Angela Davis Biopic By ‘Shameless’ Scribe LaToya Morgan Acquired By The Firm
- Javier Bardem & Penelope Cruz On Croisette For ‘Escobar’ – Cannes
- 20th Century Fox Taps BOOM! Superhero Tale ‘Irredeemable’; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting