EXCLUSIVE: After directing Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop, the indie documentary about the talk-show host’s musical road trip while under late-night TV ban after exiting NBC’s Tonight Show, Rodman Flender has found another project. He’s teaming with Amy Lippman to adapt How I Became A Famous Novelist, Steve Hely’s comic novel about a down-on-his-luck guy who resolves to write a bestselling novel solely to upstage his ex-girlfriend at her wedding. Even though he has loaded in every cliche and a well-worn plot line, the novelist watches his book become a raging bestseller. It’s such a phenomenon that it inflames the literary community, alienates his ex and causes him to rethink what makes good writing worthwhile. Flender is married to Lippman, whose long list of TV credits includes Party of Five, the HBO series In Treatment and most recently Lone Star. Hely’s novel won the 2010 Thurber Award, and he has also worked as a TV writer on 30 Rock, American Dad and The Late Show With David Letterman. He’s currently a producer on The Office. Flender, Lippman and Hely are all repped by WME.
Conan O'Brien Docu Director Takes On 'How I Became A Famous Novelist'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Roy Wood Jr. To Star In Parole Officer Comedy From Trevor Noah & Aaron McGruder In Works At Comedy Central
Latest Film News
- Joaquin Phoenix Discovers Another Side To Film Festivals At Berlin
- ‘Black Panther’: Hollywood Cannot Stop Praising The Groundbreaking Marvel Blockbuster
- Oscars Street Closures: When & Where To Expect Detours, Delays
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling For Women
- Activist Organization Hosts Voter Registration Events At ‘Black Panther’ Screenings
- Blue Fox Hires Myriad Pictures’ Audrey Delaney As Marketing & Distribution SVP – Berlin