EXCLUSIVE: Cheech Marin has been tapped to co-star opposite Rob Schneider in the actor’s untitled CBS comedy, which recently received an order for another pilot and several backup scripts as it remains in strong midseason consideration. The multi-camera comedy, which Schneider co-wrote with Lew Morton based on the actor’s real-life experience, stars Schneider as Rob, a confirmed bachelor who has just married into a tight-knit Mexican-American family. The retooling of the CBS Studios/Tannenbaum Co. project includes recasting three family members, Rob’s wife and her parents. Marin will play Rob’s father-in-law Fernando, a role played in the original pilot by Ugly Betty alum Tony Plana. In addition to Schneider, returning from the first pilot are Eugenio Derbez as the wife’s uncle and Lupe Ontiveros as her grandmother. This past development season, Marin co-starred in another family comedy pilot, Fox’s Outnumbered. Marin, managed by Anonymous Content, next reprises the voice of Ramone in Cars 2.
Cheech Marin Joins CBS' Rob Schneider Comedy
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'
- WE TV Orders 'Sex Box' Series About Couples Having & Discussing Sex
- Comedy Writer Lindsey Shockley Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Big Brother' & 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us' Perk Up, 'SYTYCD' Slips