Comcast CEO Brian Roberts closed the annual National Cable Show this morning by giving executives a glimpse of their future transmitting TV shows via the broadband cloud. He says that some of his systems over the next several years will offer transmission speeds of more than 1 gigabite per second — fast enough to download an entire 39-episode season of 30 Rock in 1 minute and 39 seconds. “We are demonsrating a whole new level of speed,” he says. “It’s where the future of broadband is headed.” The demo came as he unveiled some of the features of his company’s Xfinity TV service. The most distinguishing feature for consumers is that it enables viewers to search for movies and shows much they way they would via a search engine such as Google. It also can make recomendations based on data from a user’s Facebook account. “The guide becomes what your friends tell you to watch, not the linear alphabet,” Roberts says. Calling cloud-based TV a “game changer,” Roberts says that “we need to make the television feel as relevant as all of these other products” such as smartphones and iPad tablet computers.
Cable Show: Comcast CEO Brian Roberts Says Super-Fast Broadband Services Will Make TV More “Relevant”
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- HBO ‘Night Of Too Many Stars’ Sees Host Jon Stewart Spar With Stephen Colbert
- Russell Simmons Accused Of Forcing Sex On Model While Brett Ratner Watched
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Steady With Host Chance The Rapper & Eminem
- ‘SNL’ Vs Al Franken: Weekend Update Takes On A Former Writer
- ‘SNL’: “Come Back, Barack”, Stay Awhile Pete Davidson & Chance Pays Off
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment…