EXCLUSIVE: After reporting today that Luke Evans will play Bard in the Peter Jackson-directed The Hobbit and wondering who’ll voice the dragon Smaug, Deadline can now tell you that it will be Benedict Cumberbatch. He’ll portray Smaug via motion capture. He is already on the picture, providing the voice of the character Necromancer. This comes as Cumberbatch is getting buzz for his supporting performances in the Steven Spielberg-directed War Horse. And Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, in which he stars opposite Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy and Colin Firth. After drawing raves for his performance in Danny Boyle’s stage production of Frankenstein, Cumberbatch was just set to star in the five-part miniseries Parade’s End. Cumberbatch continues his role as Sherlock Holmes on the BBC/PBS series, which just won the BAFTA for Best Drama. He is represented by UTA and Conway Van Gelder.
Benedict Cumberbatch To Voice Smaug in 'The Hobbit'
What's Hot on Deadline
Gary Oldman Spent 200 Hours In Make-Up Chair To Become Winston Churchill In 'Darkest Hour' -- CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- World Premiere Of Next ‘Planet Of The Apes’ Footage And Trailer Bows — CinemaCon
- ‘War For The Planet Of The Apes’ Trailer: The Beginning And The End
- Jennifer Lawrence Becomes A ‘Red Sparrow’: 20th Century Fox Unveils Intense Spy Trailer At CinemaCon
- Joss Whedon Eyes Batgirl Movie At Warner Bros
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Clocks $400M+ Overseas; Global Box Office At $751M
- Annapurna Hiring Spree Results In Full Marketing And Distribution Teams – CinemaCon