The CW Network introduced Upfront Week’s two most ambitious new ploys to keep digitally savvy viewers from skipping past its ads. The first is a Bingo-like game called CWingo: Viewers will go to CWTV.com or Facebook to find a card with images from a show, and cross off squares when the image on the card matches what’s on the screen. “Watching commercials earns viewers more squares,” CW entertainment president Dawn Ostroff told advertisers today. Winners will receive prizes, of course. Another new service, called Shoptick, also will enable advertisers to reward viewers who watch their commercials. CW shows will have a visual cue telling viewers to turn on their smartphones before the Shoptick ad airs. Spots will ask consumers to do something to “identify that they’re watching the ad,” Ostroff says. CW’s efforts to lure young viewers who watch shows online to also watch commercials appear to be paying off. The network says 94% of the digital media ads run to completion. Execs say that online viewing of CW shows is up 55% this year and online viewing time is up 175%. Only 7% of these people also watch the shows on TV.
Upfronts: CW Helps Advertisers Play Games With Viewers
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest TV News
- Comic-Con: ‘Riverdale’ Season 2 Trailer Debuts, Explores Darker Side of Archie And The Gang
- ‘Once Upon A Time’ Debuts Opening Scene From Season 7 Revamp, Teases New LGBTQ Storyline — Comic-Con
- ‘Marvel's Iron Fist’: Raven Metzner Tapped As New Showrunner Of Netflix Series
- Linkin Park Filmed ‘Carpool Karaoke’ Episode Days Before Chester Bennington’s Death
- John Heard Dies: ‘Home Alone’ Actor Was 72
- ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series…