Universal Pictures is developing a reality-based action film centered around the recruitment and training of Secret Service agents. The studio has optioned a cover story in the Washington Post Magazine by Laura Blumenfeld, and set Greg Poirier to write the script. Poirier’s work includes The Spy Next Door and National Treasure: Book of Secrets, and he is writing the Ashley Judd-starrer Missing for ABC. Double Feature Films partners Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher will produce. Blumenfeld went through the training program to write her article and it included shooting weapons, hand-to-hand combat, psychological and other training methods. The Secret Service differs from most law-enforcement branches in that applicants don’t need a law enforcement background to apply. That lends an everyman aspect to a film that will follow a group of aspirants who go through the training program to become agents. There hasn’t been a good Secret Service agent movie since In the Line of Fire, which is surprising considering the high stakes.
Universal Sets Secret Service Training Tale
What's Hot on Deadline
'Den Of Thieves' & '12 Strong' Draw Close To $1M On Thursday Night, But 'Jumanji' Will Win The Weekend
MoviePass Launches MoviePass Ventures: Subsidiary Will Co-Acquire Films With Distributors - Sundance
Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Juri & Charlie Hunnam Join Aaron Taylor-Johnson In 'A Million Little Pieces'
Latest Film News
- Chelsea Handler: How Trump, Weinstein, #MeToo Changed Gender Politics On Anniversary Of Sundance Women’s March…
- John Hawkes, Octavia Spencer In 'Small Town Crime'; 'The Final Year' Recalls Obama – Specialty B.O. Preview
- Amazon Raises Price Of Monthly Prime Memberships By 18% To $12.99
- Turner & Warner Bros Team Up To Launch Movie SVOD Service FilmStruck Globally
- MoviePass Launches MoviePass Ventures: Subsidiary Will Co-Acquire Films With Distributors – Sundance
- Peter Mayle Dies: ‘A Year In Provence’ & ‘A Good Year’ Author Was 78