EXCLUSIVE: Diane Henriques’ non-fiction book recounting of the life and lies of imprisoned swindler Bernie Madoff debuts at No. 10 on The New York Times bestseller list this weekend. The Wizard Of Lies: Bernie Madoff And The Death Of Trust, published on April 26, has been optioned by HBO for a movie, and right now sources tell me that the pay channel is negotiating with Robert De Niro to play Madoff. There’s no doubt that the two men definitely look alike. The book is said to be the definitive look at Madoff and his $65 billion Ponzi scheme. Meanwhile, De Niro has personal experience with being bilked: in 2009, Lawrence Salander, a prominent art gallery owner, was charged with bilking a slew of high-profile clients, including De Niro, out of $88 million on high-priced art deals over more than 15 years.
Robert De Niro Dealing To Play Bernie Madoff For HBO Movie Of 'The Wizard Of Lies'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Deadpool' Smacking Christian Grey's February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest TV News
- Anderson Cooper To Moderate Back To Back South Carolina GOP Town Halls
- Hollywood & Washington React To Scalia Death With Tributes, Biting Criticism
- WGA Award Winners List – Live
- Deadline’s 2016 WGA Awards Live Blog
- Antonin Scalia Dies: Conservative Supreme Court Justice Seen As No Friend To Hollywood
- ‘Shark Tank’ Ratings Hit Season High, ‘Amazing Race’ Steadyish, ’20/20′ Surges