This just isn’t Donald Trump’s weekend. First on Saturday he was skewered by President Barack Obama at the White House Correspondents Dinner because of Trump’s relentless attacks relating to Obama’s birth certificate. Then tonight, the news that Osama bin Laden had been killed by an Obama-ordered U.S. Navy Seals mission broke in the middle of Trump’s Celebrity Apprentice boardroom scene on the East Coast. The broadcast networks all interrupted their regular programming around 10:45 PM ET. Quipped one Twitter user: “Donald Trump demands Osama Bin Laden’s death certificate.” The broadcast networks also pre-empted their programming to carry President Obama’s address to the nation about Bin Laden’s death at around 8:30 PM PT (11:30 PM ET). By 9 PM PT, the regular lineups had returned except on ABC, which stuck with news coverage over Desperate Housewives. A new episode of the dramedy started at 10 PM. As for the actual news of Bin Laden’s killing, like so many other big stories these days, it was not broken by a news organization but by Twitter. Keith Urbahn, the chief of staff for former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld, was the first to tweet it some 20 minutes before the networks announced it.
Obama Trumps Donald Trump Yet Again
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Andreeva
- Veronica Osorio Inks Talent Deal With Fox
- ABC Buys FBI Drama Produced By Jordan Kerner
- David Schwimmer To Play Robert Kardashian In FX's 'American Crime Story: People Vs. O.J.'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Poised To Star In HBO Divorce Comedy Pilot
- Ernie Hudson To Play Poseidon On 'Once Upon a Time'
- Christina Aguilera-Produced Dramedy, Twitter-Based Comedy, Shakespeare-Themed Drama On Prospect Park's Slate