EXCLUSIVE: Acclaimed British TV writer-producer Lynda La Plante, creator of Prime Suspect, is set to develop Villains of All Nations, a drama series for Lionsgate TV based on historian Marcus Rediker’s book about the “Golden Age” of piracy in the 17th and 18th centuries. The project is described as a “modern, bold and gritty interpretation of the genre,” using Redkier’s book as a springboard. Lionsgate TV Group president Kevin Beggs said the company had been looking to work with La Plante for a while. “Not only is she a brilliant writer, she happens to have a longtime love and knowledge of the subject matter, and we believe she can achieve exactly the kind of ‘Deadwood on the high seas’ sensibility we’re looking for,” he said. On Villians of All Nations, La Plante joins executive producers Alexandra Milchan (Street King) and Alessandro Camon (Thank You for Smoking). Redike is considered one of the world’s leading authorities on pirates. In addition to Prime Suspect, which is being adapted by NBC this pilot season, screenwriter and novelist La Plante, repped by UTA, wrote the miniseries Widows, which also was adapted in the U.S. by ABC; Trial & Retribution; The Commander; and The Governor; and most recently the Above Suspicion dramas based on her novels.
Lynda La Plante Teams With Lionsgate TV For 'Villains Of All Nations' Pirate Series
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office 4-Day: 'Guardians' No. 1 With $280M Cume; 'As Above' Best Of Newcomers; 'Cantinflas' Opens Well
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'