Investors are jumping on the anti-3D bandwagon as the weekend’s lackluster sales of 3D tickets for DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda 2 seemed to confirm that audiences are fed up with the higher prices exhibitors are charging for the immersive visual experience. Shares of 3D technology company RealD were down 12% in mid-day trading to $27 — amounting to a 23% decline over the last two weeks. Even with the drop, RealD shares are up nearly 40% from this time last year. Investors appear to be more disenchanted with DreamWorks Animation, which is making all of its films in 3D. Its shares were off 3.3% at midday to about $24 — which is down nearly 20% vs this time last year. 3D tickets accounted for about 45% of Panda‘s domestic box office revenues. By contrast, last year DreamWorks Animation’s Shrek Forever After generated 60% of its opening-weekend revenues from 3D, even though it was on 343 fewer 3D screens, Lazard Capital Markets analyst Barton Crockett notes. Wall Street’s most vocal critic of 3D — BTIG’s Richard Greenfield — reiterated his “sell” recommendation for DreamWorks Animation and lowered his 2011 earnings estimate for the company to $1.54 a share, from $1.81. The company’s movies “have not lived up to expectations and the global DVD market is in a free fall as consumers continue to shift from buying to renting,” he wrote in a report.
'Kung Fu Panda 2' Kicks Up Anti-3D Sentiment On Wall Street
What's Hot on Deadline
Looking Under 'Logan Lucky's Hood As 'Hitman's Bodyguard' Stands Tall With $21M Opening - Saturday AM Update
'This Is Us': Creator Dan Fogelman & Cast Tease Even More Details About Season 2 - Deadline Emmy Panel
Boston Police Commissioner Praises "99.9 Percent" Of Protesters; Donald Trump Says Protest Helps "Heal"
FX Acquires 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', 'Logan', 'Girls Trip', 'Despicable Me 3', 'War For The Planet of the Apes' & More Movies
Latest Film News
- ‘Inconceivable’s Jonathan Baker, Who Filed Fraud Suit Against Emmett/Furla, Says He Has What Happened On Film…
- Looking Under ‘Logan Lucky’s Hood As ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Stands Tall With $21M Opening – Saturday…
- Donald Trump Blows Off Kennedy Center Honors; Avoiding “Political Distraction”
- Producer Joel Silver Sued For Wrongful Death In 2015 Drowning Of Assistant In Bora Bora
- Sonny Landham Dies: ‘Predator’ & ‘48 Hrs.’ Actor Was 76
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Crash: Details Emerge In Death Of Stuntwoman Joi Harris