In a rare venturing into unscripted series, HBO has picked up filmmaker Peter Berg’s primetime reality series On Freddie Roach. The series, which has been given a six-episode order for a debut in early 2012, is being directed by Berg. In a cinéma-vérité style, it follows famous boxing trainer Roach, who owns and operates the famed Wildcard Boxing Club in Hollywood that has produced a host of world champions. The cameras will chronicle Roach’s work with young boxers, the continuous stream of celebrity visitors to his gym as well as Roach’s new role with USA Boxing and his fight against Parkinson’s disease. Berg is executive prodcuing with Jim Lampley, Sarah Aubrey and Michael Price. Film 44 and Atticus Entertainment are producing.
HBO Greenlights Peter Berg Reality Series About Boxing Trainer Freddie Roach
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Stephnie Weir Bank Comedy
- Fox Developing Drama About Airline Crew Moonlighting As Robbers
- Betsy Thomas Set As New 'Bad Judge' Showrunner
- Sam Richardson Upped To Regular On 'Veep'
- Nathan Parsons To Topline Amazon Pilot 'Point Of Honor', Luke Benward To Co-Star
- Rob Golenberg and Alon Aranya's Scripted World Inks First-Look Deal With Fox 21