The project that has the Cannes buying crowd most hot and bothered at the moment is the John Hillcoat-directed The Wettest County in the World. Hillcoat, who directed The Road, here covers a band of Depression Era bootleggers in the South, with Shia La Beouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Mia Wasikowska starring. I’m told that Relativity Media has posted the high bid so far, just shy of $6 million. This might drag out, with The Weinstein Company, CBS Films, FilmDistrict hot and bothered, with Fox Searchlight and Focus also in the mix. Buyers read a script and watched a sizzle reel. It has been an interesting festival, with the appetite of the old days restored, with bidders having to test the new resolve to not overpay and to be disciplined. Pic’s being sold by CAA with Cassian Elwes involved on behalf of Michael Benaroya, who funded the pic with Megan Ellison.
CANNES: Forecast Strong For 'The Wettest County In The World'
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Dylan Sellers Exits President Post at TWC
- Dennis Quaid Joins Dan Rather-George W. Bush Scandal Pic 'Truth'
- Quvenzhane Wallis To Star In Bestseller 'Counting By 7s'
- Netflix Sets 'Crouching Tiger 2′ As 1st Feature; Hollywood's Nightmare?
- 'Boyhood's Richard Linklater Baseball Pic Fielded By Annapurna, Paramount
- Matt Bomer Joins Ryan Gosling & Russell Crowe In 'The Nice Guys'