The project that has the Cannes buying crowd most hot and bothered at the moment is the John Hillcoat-directed The Wettest County in the World. Hillcoat, who directed The Road, here covers a band of Depression Era bootleggers in the South, with Shia La Beouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Mia Wasikowska starring. I’m told that Relativity Media has posted the high bid so far, just shy of $6 million. This might drag out, with The Weinstein Company, CBS Films, FilmDistrict hot and bothered, with Fox Searchlight and Focus also in the mix. Buyers read a script and watched a sizzle reel. It has been an interesting festival, with the appetite of the old days restored, with bidders having to test the new resolve to not overpay and to be disciplined. Pic’s being sold by CAA with Cassian Elwes involved on behalf of Michael Benaroya, who funded the pic with Megan Ellison.
CANNES: Forecast Strong For 'The Wettest County In The World'
What's Hot on Deadline
Shania Twain Clarifies Comments On Supporting Trump, Says She's "Passionately Against Discrimination"
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says Relationship Between Cohen And Hannity "Far More Extensive" Than People Believe
'Fast & Furious' Animated Series Set At Netflix Based On Universal Movies As Deal With DreamWorks Animation TV Expands
Latest Film News
- ‘Puppet Master’ Reimagining To Hit Theaters In August Via RLJE Films
- Oscar 2019 Key Dates: Academy And ABC Unveil Timeline
- ‘Disobedience’ Star Rachel Weisz On Film’s Depiction Of “Hidden, Secret Community” — Tribeca…
- CJ 4DPLEX & Cineworld Group Expand Pact To Boost Number Of 4DX Theaters – CinemaCon
- Elaine Chin Joins Exec Film Ranks At Participant Media
- NBA Star Stephen Curry Inks Film & TV Deal With Sony