The project that has the Cannes buying crowd most hot and bothered at the moment is the John Hillcoat-directed The Wettest County in the World. Hillcoat, who directed The Road, here covers a band of Depression Era bootleggers in the South, with Shia La Beouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Mia Wasikowska starring. I’m told that Relativity Media has posted the high bid so far, just shy of $6 million. This might drag out, with The Weinstein Company, CBS Films, FilmDistrict hot and bothered, with Fox Searchlight and Focus also in the mix. Buyers read a script and watched a sizzle reel. It has been an interesting festival, with the appetite of the old days restored, with bidders having to test the new resolve to not overpay and to be disciplined. Pic’s being sold by CAA with Cassian Elwes involved on behalf of Michael Benaroya, who funded the pic with Megan Ellison.
CANNES: Forecast Strong For 'The Wettest County In The World'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Gore Verbinski’s Creepy, Visually Stunning Trailer For ‘A Cure For Wellness’ Bows
- ‘La La Land’ Added As AFI Fest Centerpiece Gala
- Dana Brunetti On ‘Fifty Shades Darker’ Battle With PGA: “It’s About The Principle”…
- Western Pic ‘Brimstone’ With Dakota Fanning, Guy Pearce & Kit Harington Gains Momentum
- Another Anti-Trump Documentary On Way: ‘You’ve Been Trumped Too’
- Tom Hardy Tackling Antarctic Explorer Ernest Shackleton In Studiocanal Epic